We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mackinac in early November

Houston
Level Contributor
84 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Mackinac in early November

We are from Texas and going to be visiting relatives in November. They love Mackinac Island and wanted to take us up there to see it while we are in the area. I am having trouble figuring out if anything will be open. Do you know of any bike rentals, carriage rentals, or restaurants in general are open that late in the season? I feel like we are going to be missing everything by just a couple of weeks....

Any help is appreciated!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mackinac in early November

At least 3 restaurants remain open year around. Almost all of the shops will be closed, but a few will have limited weekend hours or will have a phone number you may call and someone will meet you. The carriage tours will be over, but a horse drawn taxi will be available. If you want to bicycle, you will need to take bikes with you on the ferry.

Houston
Level Contributor
84 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mackinac in early November

Thanks! I appreciate the help!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
150 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mackinac in early November

I have a flair for stating the obvious, but given that it says you're from Texas I thought I'd mention that it'll be inordinately cold on the island in November....even more so than wherever else in MI you'll be visiting. Pack accordingly!

On the positive side, missing the summer craziness isn't really so bad. It can be hectic and not so fun having to worry about being run over by wayward bikes, horses, and hoards of tourists.

I agree with your friends. Beautiful place!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mackinac in early November

I would also imagine you'll get some really good deals on the hotels. We were there a few weeks ago and rates really dropped from September to October. I'm not sure if you were planning on spending the evening. Hmm, I just checked Main Street, I'm not sure if they're opening in November, the online calendar doesn't have any info. Yes, it was quite cool. We enjoyed touring the fort but it's very wide open and I wished I had dressed much more warmly. The ferries will probably also have more limited runs than during the high season. It looks Shepler's only leaves from St. Ignace after October.

This wouldn't keep me from going if I were you. Have fun.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mackinac in early November

The fort is closed for the winter.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mackinac in early November

Thanks Lighhouse, that's why it's good to have the real experts here too. Those of us who are new to an area can give a special perspective, but you need to rely on those who are the most familiar.

7. Re: Mackinac in early November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 08, 2012