We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big doings on September 27th?

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Big doings on September 27th?

We've planning on visiting the end of September and the Grand said they're fully booked for the 27th. The Mackinac event calendar doesn't list anything, is the island overrun with who-knows-what? That weekend is Somewhere in Time, but that's 3 days later. We're thinking of staying off Island the 26th and somewhere on island the 27th, will it be pretty busy do you think?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
402 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big doings on September 27th?

The Grand is often booked with bus tours and the like, especially when people are looking for fall colors. That would probably be why it is booked, along with the fact that many people make the Somewhere in Time weekend a full week trip.

We have been there that weekend and while the Grand is pretty crowded, the rest of the Island is entering it's slow season. You will not regret staying on the Island at least one night.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big doings on September 27th?

Lots of Senior groups booked in the fall also. I would stay both nights on the Island. I'm sure there are other places that have openings.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
281 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big doings on September 27th?

I agree with the other posters...most likely tour groups in the Grand. Stay downtown and you can take the 5-10 minute walk (or taxi ride) up to the Grand for lunch or dinner.

If you opt to stay downtown...and keeping the Grand theme in mind, I'd suggest the Iriquois Hotel or the Chippewa Hotel. Both are nice and have very good restaurants. Both are also waterfront.

Some other good island restaurants include the Woods (a Grand Hotel restaurant at Stonecliffe), Seabiscuit Cafe and Mary's Bistro. My other recommendations include Yankee Rebel, Bistro on the Greens, Fort Mackinac Tea Room and Millie's On Main.

The island will be quiet when compared to the summer season and you'll feel like you own the island after the last ferry boat leaves for the evening, but that's when I enjoy an evening stroll along the boardwalk or sitting at the Pink Pony patio bar relaxing and enjoying the harbor view.

Have a great trip!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big doings on September 27th?

All right, we'll be the youngest ones there! I appreciate the suggestions for dining but I think this trip will be more laid back, no dresses or ties in the suitcase this time. The reason we're thinking of staying off-island the first night is that I'm not sure if we'd get to the area early enough to catch the ferry and settle in for the night. We may make several stops on that first day of driving on the way up. Trying to decide if we stop at Pictured Rocks. All that's "finalized" is Mackinac and Petoskey as we come from Wisconsin. Points north/south and in between are still on the drawing board.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big doings on September 27th?

You would not need a dress or tie for lunch at the Grand and the "Grand Luncheon Buffet" is pretty specail. Assuming that you would like to see the hotel anyway, you can credit the $10 fee toward the meal.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big doings on September 27th?

Yes, we plan on touring the Grand, still possibly staying there, we haven't decided yet though I think we'd like something less formal.

Hastings, Minnesota
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Big doings on September 27th?

September 23-25 there is a Boy Scout Rendezvous on the island. Sounds like you will be arriving after that but I thought that I would give you a heads up in case you decided to change your dates. You may be sharing the island with hundreds of Boy Scouts (my children included).

That being said, it is an awesome place to visit. We never stay on the island, as we enjoy staying in Mackinaw City or sometimes a little further away at Boyne.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big doings on September 27th?

Thanks for the update, as our plans are pretty fluid and we may be there earlier. It appears that a couple of Packer games (ahem) may have an impact on this trip. I love the Green and Gold, BUT!! Too bad I didn't think of this when I married my wonderful hubby many moons ago. Vacation+Packers has been an issue the last few years, but I guess we'll manage, we've made it this far!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
402 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big doings on September 27th?

LoL! Having married a die-hard Steelers fan (and become one myself) I totally understand! We actually planned a fall trip to the Island a couple of years ago during their bye week...on purpose!! The things we do for our beloved teams! :)

10. Re: Big doings on September 27th?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, October 09, 2012