We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on the Island

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sterling Heights...
14 posts
Save Topic
What to do on the Island

My husband and I are celebrating our 2nd Wedding Anniversary in August and we have decided to go to Mackinac Island to celebrate. We arrive on a Saturday (hopefully morning/early afternoon) and depart on Monday.

I know there are many things to do on the, but what do you suggest we do in the short amount of time we are there? I was thinking a carriage ride & bike ride but other than that I'm not sure!

Where are some good places to eat as well??

Thanks!

Williamston...
Level Contributor
815 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What to do on the Island

There's all kinds of bikes, don't worry, they'll have something to suit you. Since you have a 4 year old, they do have child carriers and baby carts. If he's a big 4 year old, he might even be able to handle riding on a tag-along. There are a number of outfits, Ryba's and Orr's are a couple that come to mind. Once you get off the ferry, just walk down the main street and you'll run across them. Their prices are near identical, about $6/hr. for a typical standard bike. You can do the island perimeter ride in well under 2 hours, with picture stops included.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What to do on the Island

Kdets, I'm re-reading some old posts and I'm glad to see your recommendation on Main Street. I convinced DH to spring for the extra money and get one of the front suites. The regular rooms are really reasonable, but when I saw the picture of the room we would have (that first one where you see the water out the front window) I was hooked. Glad to see I made a good choice.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What to do on the Island

Back to your original question, I'd like to add to kdets' great list. Obviously,m there are more things to do than you will ahve time for. This will make you want to come back again, maybe even stay longer.

I am not a fan of guided tours, especially on an island the size of Mackinac. You may not learn everything, but the fun of exploring and discovering is worth its own experience. But like I said, that is my perspective. You can also arrive at a place and hang at the back of the tour group for a bit of info.

Bicycles go everywhere that horses go. Bring your bikes, if you can and have them.

Or, you can ride a horse. There are two stables that rent horses, and they will get you started up the trails, and then leave you on your own. Very nice.

A nice swimming area that we have enjoyed is along the perimeter ride, near Arch Rock. There is a long stretch of calm and shallow water that reaches out into the lake, gradually getting deeper. The bottom is a bed of golf ball to baseball size rocks that can be a bit tough on the sole of your feet, but just fine with water shoes or a pair of water sandals. Wear your suits and bring towels. I think there is an official swimming beach on the other side of the island near Cannonball Drive In, but it has never been as appealing to us.

Lunch, drinks or dinner on the lawn at the Iroquois. Great view, elegant, quiet, romantic.

Mini-golfing at Mission Point. No windmills, here, but nice putting greens.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
46 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What to do on the Island

We probably landed there on a very bad day. It was raining the whole day. So it was diificult to do anything with a 4 year old. But the island was really nice. I probably have to go back again sometime to enjoy it

Williamston...
Level Contributor
815 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What to do on the Island

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, rain would put a damper on things as all the fun is generally outside.Oh well, sometimes the weather cooperates and sometimes it doesn't, it's the risk we travelers all take. Better luck next time.

Canton, Michigan
Level Contributor
139 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What to do on the Island

kellbell422, kdets89 has provided you with awesome information. As for hotel suggestions, Lake View Hotel and Main Street Inn and Suites are my personal favorites. However, I have also stayed at Mission Point Resort (for a week-long conference) and Bogan Lane Inn (B&B) and have no complaints about those accomodations. Another lunch option is the Grand Buffet Luncheon at Grand Hotel. A little pricey, but quite an experience. You definitely won't be able to see or do everything during your short visit...you'll go back! Enjoy!

17. Re: What to do on the Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, October 09, 2012