We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering a trip in April. Is that doable?

Combined Locks...
Level Contributor
90 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Considering a trip in April. Is that doable?

I've never taken a Winter trip to Mackinaw Island. How does the ferry and/or ice road transportation work in early April? Thanks.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering a trip in April. Is that doable?

Could be tricky, there definitely won't be any ice transportation in April. I don't know if the schedules will change this year with all the ferry service hooplah, but in the past Arnold Line's been the only early season ferry option, with service starting in late March. Also, flying in's always an option.

That's just getting there though, what do you plan on doing once you're there? April could be golfing or skiing weather, but plan on closer to the latter on the island. Most business will still be shut up, and I doubt if there's any events going on. If it were me, I'd shoot for mid to late May.

Combined Locks...
Level Contributor
90 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering a trip in April. Is that doable?

Thanks for the feedback. I was going to play it by ear. If there was still snow my wife & I could do some snowshoing. If the weather was good we could bike or hike.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering a trip in April. Is that doable?

I think that early April is about the least apealing time of year to go to the Island. Too late to do winter things, but with the ground probably too wet for outdoor things to be fun, and with very few places open.

Unless the ice stays in the Straits late, the ferries will be running on a limited schedule from St. Ignace. If they are not, Great Lakes Air will be flying a regular schedule. It is fairly reasonable. under $50 round trip.

Edited: 8:55 am, March 02, 2011
4. Re: Considering a trip in April. Is that doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, October 24, 2012