We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lilacs???

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Lilacs???

It's been such a nice spring, I'm hoping they're already out. Her's hoping....Yes? Thanks!

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lilacs???

The lilacs are out here around Petoskey, I think the island's usually a little behind, but I bet they're not far off...

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lilacs???

I was out there this past weekend and some were in bloom, but not all. The tulips, however, were beautiful. Usually don't see them this early out there in full bloom.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lilacs???

Thank you so much, northernite! If a past visitor from last weekend is as close as I can get, then that's what I'll go with. We'll be there midweek, so if nobody on this forum is a seasonal resident, I guess we'lll find out soon enough. Unless of course someone spends the weekend there... so I'll be checking back. And maybe in a week and a half, "some' will have turned into "most". But you have us fired up to see what's there, plus to enjoy those tulips. Thanks again...

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lilacs???

You should have a wonderful time.

Last Thursday and then Sunday were nice out there, not so last Saturday as it was snowing, but still enjoyed The Grand, where we stayed.

Have fun.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lilacs???

The lilacs are in bloom on the Island already? That has to be an all time record. They usually are not in bloom until well into June.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lilacs???

There were several bushes in bloom, but not sure what type of lilac's they were, maybe a different kind? Our spring was unusually warm this year. Hopefully there will be some in bloom for the festival next month.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lilacs???

Ok, back from another great trip to the island, and I'll answer my own question for anyone who might be going in the near future. Despite the warm spring, the lilacs are not yet in bloom. None of them. I guesss they're too traditionalist to show themselves so soon before their festival. But the tulips were at full peak and spectacular, so that was quite a good enough trade for us. Add 2 days of total sunshine, calm winds, and temperatures in the low 70's...We had a very nice stay!

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lilacs???

Glad you had such a nice stay. I miss it already.

We did, however, see lilacs in bloom, on bushes, mostly on the interior.

Don't know what else to say but I'm sure it will be beautiful during the lilac festival. Especially with this warm weather we are having right now.

Want to go back.

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lilacs???

Just got back for the island this past weekend and the lilacs were in full bloom. Not sure if they will make it for the lilac festival. You just never know. I’ve gone during the festival before and nothing was bloomed. I go even earlier this year and it was beautiful. Lucky for me! :-)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
281 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lilacs???

The lilacs were really early this year compared to last. Here's a picture I took a few minutes ago (Friday, June 11, about 8AM): http://twitpic.com/1vsqug

As you can see in the picture, many of the lilacs have already dropped their blooms, but there are still some to be found around town and the park!