We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any ideas on where to propose marriage on the island?

ann arbor
2 posts
Save Topic
Any ideas on where to propose marriage on the island?

My girlfriend and I are visiting mackinac in late August and I'm thinking of proposing somewhere on the island. Any romantic suggestions. By the way, we'll probably stay at the Grand.

Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any ideas on where to propose marriage on the island?

Being a major romantic and just having received an eternity band from my husband during our stay there (celebrating his birthday, retirement and 27 years of marriage), I've a few suggestions.

1) rent a tandem bicycle and have the Grand make a picnic basket for you, bicycle out to a secluded spot on a beach and propose with champagne and other goodies.

2) the Grand is incredibly romantic and there are lots of beautiful spots in the hotel, from the front porch, the winebar which is filled with old books..... I'd call the concierge and ask for their suggestions. We heard about a very romantic new restaurant at the Grand, called The Woods which you get to via horse and carriage. Didn't have opportunity to eat there.

3)speaking of horse and carriage, renting a private carriage and proposing during the ride with champagne would be really memorable.

4) buy her favorite fudge and hide the ring inside--there are more fudge and tshirt shops on the island than anywere else in the world and its known for its fudge.

Best wishes for an exciting engagement and a wonderful life together! Dianne

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any ideas on where to propose marriage on the island?

You just got some great suggestions. Good luck!! let us know how it went!

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
12 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any ideas on where to propose marriage on the island?

1) Gazebo at Mission Point

2) At the Somewhere in Time marker where Elise met Richard (on the beach near the Grand)...very romantic if she likes the movie!

3) While on a carriage ride around the island (preferably while overlooking the west bluff)

4) Is she a history buff? Fort Mackinac during a cannon firing exhibition--use the guides as a ruse. When they ask the crowd for questions about cannons, turn the tables and respond something about getting married, and then turn to her and propse in front of the group of tourists for a grand effect--she'll never forget it and all the women tourists there will thank you for the memory, too!!

Best wishes--and don't forget a Mackinac Wedding is a wonderful idea:-)

ann arbor
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any ideas on where to propose marriage on the island?

all awesome suggestions. i think i'm leaning towards the carriage ride though...

Rochester Hills
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any ideas on where to propose marriage on the island?

Before or after the proposal I can recommend the Woods restaurant. Very nice place and I believe they may have some secluded tables. Either call the restaurant or the concierge at the Grand and inquire. That way your carriage ride can either begin or end with a fine dinner. Of course, you could take the carriage ride and end up at the Grand Hotel as well. I have never eaten there but it is truly the hotel dreams are made of. (I am a huge fan of Somewhere in Time - if you haven't seen it, it's a very romantic movie set on Mackinaw Island.)

Mackinac Island...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any ideas on where to propose marriage on the island?

Some of us think you should propose at sunset on the boardwalk. Others say ask the waiter at Woods Restaurant to place her ring in the dessert while some say propose on the walk out at Arch Rock at sunrise. Anywhere you choose to propose will be great, how about on the porch of Grand Hotel?