We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mackinac Island...planning a trip for Labor Day Weekend

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
mackinac Island...planning a trip for Labor Day Weekend

Trying to make plans to celebrate a 1 year wedding anniversary weekend on the island. Looking to stay at a B&B or a romantic hotel, but not sure which one would suite a couple in their mid-twenties. What are some great restaurants and thing to do that are unique to the island. Any tips/suggestions would be most helpful! Thanks!!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mackinac Island...planning a trip for Labor Day Weekend

I'd be surprised if you could find anything this late. it is a big weekend with the bridge walk. I'm going the 20th and from the time I thought about it (about a week and a half ago and friday) I was limited to the lakeview hotel (I have a family of four). this will be my first time staying overnight on the island. we have been there a number of times but can't really comment on "good resturants ect... there just are not that many of them.--understand you're captive-- it is a romantic but is a busy palce as well. if you think of quite peacful--that weekend is not the time to go.. if you went the next weekend you would have a better chance. good luck.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mackinac Island...planning a trip for Labor Day Weekend

I agree, it may be a bit late to get reservations. But most places are open till mid-October if you're flexible. I would go with a B&B, which are more quiet and romantic. We have stayed at the BayView and the Metivier. Loved them both have there are pros (and cons) with each. The BayView is right on the water and is beautiful. But the rooms tend to be pretty small. The Metivier is in a beautiful setting and the rooms are bigger, but there is no water view. Breakfasts are great in each, can't go wrong there. Call around and see what you can find.

As for things to do, look at the other post re: proposal spots for some great ideas. One other things to do is have lunch the Tea Room in the Fort. The food is average, but the views can't be beat!!

One other thing, hike the Tranquil Bluff Trail!! Stay on that trail and enjoy the water views and the seclusion.

Mackinac Island...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mackinac Island...planning a trip for Labor Day Weekend

There are plenty of rooms available on the Island. They actually aren't busy on Labor Day, the port cities are though. Call the Mackinac Island Tourism Bureau 800-454-5227, they keep an updated list of availability there every day so they'll tell you what's available and the range of price. The tourism bureau is a pretty handy resource. Their website is www.mackinacisland.org

Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island