We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Planning - help

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding Planning - help

My fiance and I are just starting to plan for a June 2009 wedding on Mackinac Island. We are visiting the island next week to meet with a few places to host the wedding ceremony and reception. We are considering the folowing locations: The Carriage House/Iroquios Hotel, Grand Hotel, and the Bay View B&B, hope to hear great things about these places.(Suggestions on others?) We would prefer Friday, June 12 but have looked into the possibility of Thursday, June 11th if we can save on costs; rooms, etc as we are only having a small wedding with 11 total and we are paying for their rooms (our grown kids and parents). We thought about going to the Grand Hotel after the reception for dancing (if we have it elsewhere), does anyone know if just anyone can go to the Grand Hotel for the dancing or do you have to have dinner there? Is there dancing on Thursday or just the weekend? Would love to hear from those who have experience with such things. Many thanks, Mariette

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
92 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wedding Planning - help

Mariette, I just responded to your private message before reading this string of posts and see now that your party is small like mine was (20). If you choose the Grand, your guest rooms are included in your minimum so if you and your fiance stay there, you may even be able to include some family members there as well. As I said in my email to you, we ended up with a credit balance on our account even after a shopping spree in the Grand shops!! So while it may seem like the most expensive option, it probably isn't! And I am a firm believer in The Grand as a "must do once in your life if you're from Michigan!"

Michigan
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wedding Planning - help

Hi Madsm0m,

I haven't received your email yet but I do thank you for responding. Our group is small and they offer a "small wedding group" ceremony package for $900 (Sunday -Thursday which includes flowers, cake and champagne toast)so we would have the option of paying for guest's rooms and just eat in the main diningroom. Was just wondering if the diningroom seemed like a good option if we are wide open to go anywhere for our meal?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
92 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wedding Planning - help

Hi Mariette, oh yeah, I forgot they offered that small wedding package. That may be a good option. Our group was too big for that so our minimum was $5000. Everything we did at the hotel rolled up into that $5000 (hair, manicure/pedicure, flowers, dinner, wine/champagne, guest room, stuff we purchased at the shops, breakfast, etc.). It just depends on your budget. We could have done our "rehearsal dinner" at Woods or other Grand outlet and had that included too, but we opted to do it at Mary's instead since we were paying for everything, wanted to do that more economically and put all the expense into the wedding day at the Grand. It was worth every penny. I'll email some details again.

Amy

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wedding Planning - help

I got married at the Stonecliffe and it couldn't have been more perfect! We had a very small, private ceremony which included strictly family. If you do decide to get married there consider asking for the room with the bay window that overlooks the front lawn. It was the perfect place to get ready for the big day, and a beautiful backdrop for photographs of the wedding party getting ready.

No matter where you choose to get married, be sure to book a romantic carriage ride following the ceremony! We booked ours through Mackinac Island Carriage Tours - www.mict.com. This was my favorite part of the entire day! Our photographer even followed us on his bicycle to take photos all over the island. It was like a fairy tale and I felt like a queen!

We chose Robert Jerstrom as our photographer. He owns Resort Photography and you will probably recognize his work from many of the island's postcards and books. I had very high expectations for my wedding photograpy and he exceeded them all. Truly a master - www.resortphoto.com.

Our cake was from Bella e Dolce and it was a delicious work of art. It was exactly what I wanted. Check out their website - http://www.bellaedolce.com. Plus they will deliver it to your location on the island.

We went with Weber's Floral for our floral arrangements and let me tell you, when my Dad brought me my bouquet I almost cried because it was so beautiful and was designed exactly how I had specified. (I asked for a small colonial arrangement which included crystals which matched my gown that I had mailed to the florist in advance.)

One thing I found extremely useful in planning a wedding on the island is e-mail and sending vendors pictures of things you like or are planning to have. For example, I sent our florist a picture of my gown which was highly embroidered and very non-traditional - this helped her in designing my bouquet. I sent the pastry chef a photo of the cake design I had in mind, that way when we spoke on the phone we were looking at exactly the same thing.

And finally - for our ceremony music we chose Sylvia Norris - a harpist (231 922-3546). When I walked out on the back lawn at Stonecliff and heard her beautiful playing it almost brought me to tears.

No matter what you choose for your wedding, a Mackinac Island wedding will be beautiful and truely unique. Happy Planning!

15. Re: Wedding Planning - help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 26, 2009