We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Planning - help

Michigan
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding Planning - help

My fiance and I are just starting to plan for a June 2009 wedding on Mackinac Island. We are visiting the island next week to meet with a few places to host the wedding ceremony and reception. We are considering the folowing locations: The Carriage House/Iroquios Hotel, Grand Hotel, and the Bay View B&B, hope to hear great things about these places.(Suggestions on others?) We would prefer Friday, June 12 but have looked into the possibility of Thursday, June 11th if we can save on costs; rooms, etc as we are only having a small wedding with 11 total and we are paying for their rooms (our grown kids and parents). We thought about going to the Grand Hotel after the reception for dancing (if we have it elsewhere), does anyone know if just anyone can go to the Grand Hotel for the dancing or do you have to have dinner there? Is there dancing on Thursday or just the weekend? Would love to hear from those who have experience with such things. Many thanks, Mariette

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
405 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Planning - help

You might also check out Inn at Stonecliffe. From what I hear the weddings there are just wonderful! The location is secluded and views are breathtaking.

Happy planning!

Michigan
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Planning - help

Thanks Kdets89, I wondered about that place, it does look beautiful. When I originally noticed it I wondered if it was too far from town for the guests. My fiance was really taken by their website though.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
405 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Planning - help

It is 2 miles out of town, but what an entrance! Taking a horse and buggy ride down that road to the circular entrance to the Inn. Beautiful! I'm too late to have my wedding there, but we're seriously considering having an anniversary celebration there. Check it out and enjoy your visit next week!

MICHIGAN
Level Contributor
85 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Planning - help

I am usually a strong advocate of staying close to town, BUT for a wedding, other than the Grand, I don't think you could find a prettier setting than the lawn overlooking the lake or the secret garden at Stonecliff. As far as the Grand dancing one website says - "Grand Hotel offers nightly entertainment for their guests and non-guests alike. All guests, however, must be dressed properly after 6 pm, meaning that men must wear proper jackets and ties and women must wear their finest couture." You can catch a shuttle from the Woods (right next door to the Inn at Stonecliff) right to the Grand and back, or hire a taxi/carriage. Mission Point has a gazebo on their front lawn for weddings which is pretty, I have seen several weddings done there with the reception in a tent on the lawn.

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding Planning - help

Another vote for Stonecliff. You can always get a horse taxi to take your guests to the location which would be charming. There is a TV show called Married Away on the Style network and one of the episodes was a wedding at the Inn of Stonecliff and it was beautiful. They had their ceremony in the garden and their reception dinner at the Inn. Did anyone else see this? I know we have talked about the Dirty Jobs episode on Mackinac Island but this is a bit different. LOL

Michigan
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding Planning - help

With just 11 people total, it is quite expensive to have the wedding at Stonecliffe with minimum charges and all. Although, we will be visiting many places this Thursday so we will have a better feel for the differences, my fiance loves that place too! Carriage House/Hotel Iroquios offers a great deal for small weddings and they have a beautiful location, I read one post where someone had attended a wedding there and they said it was very nice, I have never even been there before. In general reviews it sounds like the food is good, anyone eaten there? Thanks for the info on the Grand, it would be super to go there after dinner! Any tips on photographers and florists?

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding Planning - help

Perhaps the following website could be helpful:

www.mackinac.com/content/weddings/index.html

Photographers, musicians, florists and more are included.

I must cast another vote for the Inn at Stone Cliffe. We will be staying there for the fourth time this year. Our 25th Wedding Anniversary in next year and I would love to host an anniversary party there including renewing our vows at sunset overlooking the lakes and Mackinaw Bridge. Absolutely lovely! Moms

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
405 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding Planning - help

There are so many beautiful places to choose from on the Island. I'm sure whatever you pick will be great. The Iroquois is beautiful, and from what I hear the food is great. My only concern would be that it isn't exactly a private or secluded spot. Enjoy your trip this week and keep us posted about your choice!

We'll be there in 7 weeks. Woohoo! (Really has no bearing on this post other than I'm finally counting down in weeks instead of months :) )

michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding Planning - help

now my wife and I got married on mackinac island..we stayed at the cheateau lorrine even got married in their back yard our second place was to get married at fort holmes up in the island...we got the minister from mackinaw city he does weddings on the island and does them for like 75 bucks...my buddy made the cake..( he used to be a pastry chef) so the cost was just in materials to make the cake..our reception was at the woods ( owned by the grand hotel) this was the budget wedding but..however looked like a total grand production...we used a taxi to haul everybody and ourselves to the woods for reception...face it it was 95 degrees and a carrige walking at 5mph with ourselves or with 10 others wasn't worth the extra 100 bucks...now i totally advise to take arnold line and bring your own bicycles...rental kills ya if your staying longer than a few days . And I highly recomend if walking around or riding around try Brians BBQ down by the bike shop........

Michigan
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding Planning - help

Thanks molive35,

Did you like the minister that you used and what is his contact info? What was the reception like at the Woods, was it in a seperate room or right in the diningroom, did they accompdate your "cake" needs as well? Details would be great! Thanks, Mariette