We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is it the prettiest and best weather---not too cool??

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
When is it the prettiest and best weather---not too cool??

I am thinking May or June--please help! thanks!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
409 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is it the prettiest and best weather---not too cool??

May and early June are cooler and rainier. We went last year the first week of June, because that was the only time we had available and it rained half the time. I would say the best time would be mid to late June.

Have fun!

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is it the prettiest and best weather---not too cool??

The beauty of MI is best seen after July 4th and before Aug 14

Spring Lake...
Level Contributor
173 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is it the prettiest and best weather---not too cool??

I would not do May or June. STill can be really cool and definitely rainier. I would say September, and it really slows down on tourist after Labor Day but everything is still open.

We always go in October, then the leaves are changing and it is really pretty. But the evening really cool off then but we still bring our bikes up.

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is it the prettiest and best weather---not too cool??

Thanks everyone! Helps alot!! What about the lilac festival--I am thinking it is in May?? So, I am sure it is cool then.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is it the prettiest and best weather---not too cool??

Actually, it is in June. It was cool when we went last summer during the Lilac Festival, but not too chilly, just bring a decent jacket. It is very pretty during this time, but I also think September would be the ideal month to go.

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is it the prettiest and best weather---not too cool??

Thank you!!

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is it the prettiest and best weather---not too cool??

I’ve gone during the lilac festival (June) for the past 5 years and it has only rained one day in all those trips. It’s Michigan you never know what the weather will do. I like that time of the year because the lilacs are beautiful and it helps with the horse smell! LOL I’ve been to the island in July as well and it is warmer and it is beautiful but I prefer the lilacs. You will have cheaper rates and it will be less crowded if you go in May. You will see some of the spring wildflowers at that time but weather can be unpredictable. All seasons on the island are good in my opinion! Have a good trip!

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When is it the prettiest and best weather---not too cool??

I think you will find what yo are looking for in the last half of June.

You have a risk of cold weather, but there is still a (smaller) risk even in July or August.

There should be plenty of flowers, perhaps even some lilacs. They don't bloom at the same time every year, some years the peak trails the festival.

Plus the crowds and prices are both smaller.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When is it the prettiest and best weather---not too cool??

My favorite time to go is the last week of July/first week of August. The weather seems to be a bit more consistent with generally sunny skies and temps in the mid to high 70s. Lovely! Moms

Oakland County...
Level Contributor
257 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When is it the prettiest and best weather---not too cool??

End of May, beginning of June has always been nice. (It's Michigan though.. so, that could change!) Anyway, a light jacket will most likely be needed because the wind off the lake, but it is a comfortable cool.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States