We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing Charters and Catamaran Cruises

Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing Charters and Catamaran Cruises

I see on the official Mackinac Island wesbite that there are at least a couple outfits that offer fishing charters leaving from the island and that one outfit offers 1 and 1/2 hour catamaran cruises around and/or near the island. Does anyone know anything about the fishing charters leaving from the island? Any recommendations for charters? Also, does anyone know anything about the catamaran cruises? Thanks.

Michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing Charters and Catamaran Cruises

The Island is not a place I personally would take a fishing charter from but you didn't tell us what time of year you will be there which will make a considerable difference. There are no dedicated sportfishing docks as in other areas of MI that I am aware of. I have seen a catermaran at the marina in Mackinaw city but I know nothing of Island cruises. Both of theese activities as odd as it may sound are a little out of the norm on the Island or even in Mackinaw city.

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
128 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing Charters and Catamaran Cruises

I didn't see any on several of the Mackinac sites. Michigan's site has E.U.P. Fishing Charters (associated with Island..perhaps they offer pickups in the Marina) and Blue Heron Charters but both are out of St. Ignace.

If you are set on either activity, then I would start with http://www.micharterboats.com/flashindex.html

Michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing Charters and Catamaran Cruises

The web site mentioned is a good place to start but we would really need to know the season and what you want to fish for. St. Ignace is still not a great spot to head out of for most fishing. If your dead set on a fishing charter in the immediate area I would look to Cheboygan first as that port is much closer to better fishing. Overall for most charters there are IMO far more productive fishing ports geared towards charters.

Missouri
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing Charters and Catamaran Cruises

I will get back to you later with the e-mail address (I'm at the office on lunch break right now!, but we had a FABULOUS time on a fishing charter this past Oct. The captain was very knowledgeable about fishing in the straits. He picked us up at the Marina, took 2 of us out for 4 hours and we each caught 3 salmon, mine being the largest at 9.5 pounds. He even clean the fish for us! If you like fishing, you'll like this. I'll try to e-mail you this evening.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing Charters and Catamaran Cruises

ram1210, If you find the name of the Fishing Charter you used, could you also post it in this thread so others will see who you used. That Fishing Charter company sounds like a good one.

MICHIGAN
Level Contributor
85 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing Charters and Catamaran Cruises

We have always used E.U.P. His boat is in St. Ignace, but Capt. Dennis will pick you up on the Island and we have always come back with more salmon than we could eat. He cleans and filets it for you.

7. Re: Fishing Charters and Catamaran Cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, September 25, 2009