We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring your own bike?

Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Bring your own bike?

So my husband and I are going to Mackinaw Island for the first time the second week of August and we'd really like to bring our own bikes. My question is, is there a problem doing this? I read that there are limited places to "park" your bike. What happens if you can't park it for the night? Has anyone brought their own bike and had a problem?

thanks in advance!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bring your own bike?

From what I remember it shouldn't be a problem. I know people would just bring them into their hotel rooms. Not sure if all hotels allow it, but you can always give them a call to find out. Bring a good lock system and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a place to park your bike. It is a good idea to have your own bikes if you plan on doing a lot of biking. If you all you want to do is a one time couple of hour ride, then it is probably not worth it. But if you want to a lot bike touring on the island, it is best to have your own bikes with you.

Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bring your own bike?

Thanks, I'll have to call the hotel (Murray) and ask them about the room thing. I know they mentioned on the receipt that bike parking was limited and available 1/2 block away on Fort Street or at the Visitor's Bureau. That's what got me nervous ;0)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
405 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bring your own bike?

We take our bikes every year and have never had a problem. Just get a good bike lock and you should be fine! Have fun!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bring your own bike?

There is quantum parking at bike racks on Fort Street, a short walk from your hotel. Don't worry about parking your bikes overnight. As was already recommended, bring good bike locks. But there will be plenty of space. During the day, people park all along Main Street, but I don't know if overnight parking is not permitted on the street. I wouldn't be surprised that the streets get a good hosing over night. Think horses. But if overnight parking is permitted, you can park your bikes on the street right outside the hotel.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
405 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bring your own bike?

If I recall correctly, all bikes are to be off the street by 3am. ????

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bring your own bike?

Never ride through puddles on Mackinac Island:-)

7. Re: Bring your own bike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:34 am, September 06, 2009