We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mackinac Island bike rentals...

Indiana
7 posts
Save Topic
Mackinac Island bike rentals...

Hello, All! Where is the best place to rent bikes for a family...ranging from ages 8-43??? Thanks!

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mackinac Island bike rentals...

There are some rental places near where the ferry boats drop you off on the island... I'm pretty sure the rental rates are all about the same. Some have tandem bikes, or bikes with baskets, or geared or single gear conventional bikes, boys and girls bikes, small and large... they will adjust seats for you so its as comfortable as possible... look for what you want and enjoy... you dont need a fancy 5 or high speed bike IF, and I repeat, IF, you stay on the paved road that circles the island. That is flat and all paved. If you want to venture onto the gravel roads that lead into the inner parts of the island you may want to choose a bike with gears. Personally, I think the old fashioned bikes with the fat tires ride as good as any on that hwy. around the island. Take some water, although there is a place to stop and get refreshments on the opposite side (halfway around) of the island. There is a bathroom at the visitor's center over there too. Enjoy.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mackinac Island bike rentals...

There are four or five bike rental places on the island. As the previous post said, they're all pretty similar in what they offer and their rates. You can check them out at www.mackinac.com. Click on shops and services.

Royal Oak
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mackinac Island bike rentals...

Mackinac Island Bikes has a website at http://www.mackinacislandbikes.com/ showing all their rates and options.

Regards,

RAS

http://www.Mackinac.biz

Mentioned in this post
Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island
Mackinac County, MI
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mackinac Island bike rentals...

As noted, bikes are readily available and pricey. Some lodging places, even small B&Bs, will loan or rent bikes for less. Depending on where you are staying and for how long, I would encourage you to consider bringing your own, if that is an option. It is about $7 per bike on the ferry, and then you have them for your entire stay. Renting for 2 - 3 days or more could run you intot he hundreds.

One of the things that has made the island so special for my kids is that they were able to go exploring on their own on their bikes, starting when my youngest was about 9. It was a great sense of independence for him.

5. Re: Mackinac Island bike rentals...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 04, 2009