We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New-Need to vacate - help

macmim
1 post
Save Topic
New-Need to vacate - help

I am new to anything in Michigan except around the way southern area - New Buffalo. I want to take a single mom, no kids, relaxation get-away. Walk in the trees, shop, solitary beauty and quiet. Maybe one night on the town, love art, love excellent food. I'm thinking Mackinac Island. I'm a southerner originally so I hate cold, but willing to wear a sweater. :) I have no idea where to start. NO Grand Hotel, can't afford it, but am willing to fork over my quarterly bonus for an experience that will leave me renewed and creative! Where do I stay? I'm coming from South Bend, IN - choke. Somebody, please help me!! I'm desperate for some beauty and nature!!!

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
New Buffalo
New Buffalo
Berrien County, MI
Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island
Mackinac County, MI
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,993 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New-Need to vacate - help

I will let others suggest the hotel, I wish to suggest when to go: about the third week in June.

You can find some hotel specials, and the crowds will be much smaller than later, more what you are looking for. The weather can go either way, but you are bringing warm clothes. The woods will still have some spring wild flowers such as trilliums or lady slippers.

If you are going later in the summer when it will probably be warmer, I think you would have mote of the experience you are looking for if you stay in Carp Lake, about 5 miles south of Mackinaw City. It will be much more peaceful and serve as a base for visiting the Island, parks and other communities.

Mentioned in this post
Mackinaw City
Mackinaw City
Cheboygan County, MI
Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New-Need to vacate - help

Saugatuck...warmer weather, closer to Ind., art galleries, B &B's

Mentioned in this post
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New-Need to vacate - help

St Ignace is on the northern side of Mac bridge..the quieter, less expensive side. Ferries to Mackinac Island, quiet trails to walk on the interior of island

Try the freshwater catch triple platter at the Driftwood restaurant

Drive West on US-2 a few miles where there is Lake Mich beach access, walk the beach and get your feet wet. Climb the low dunes on the other side of the road and peek over the top into thick forest

on the way up, just past Grayling, stop at Hartwick Pines state park, walk through trails under giant pines

Mentioned in this post
Saint Ignace
Saint Ignace
Mackinac County, MI
Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island
Mackinac County, MI
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New-Need to vacate - help

Since you are posting to the Mackinac Island forum, I am assuming that something is pointing you in this direction. As you may know, there are no cars on the island, which slows everything to the speed of feet, whether human (walking, bicycling) or horses. A stay in Mackinac island automatically slows you down. However, it also assures that most of the commerce remains close where the ferries come in. Downtown is busy, active, touristy, plenty of good restaurants, some craft shops, though I don't know if all your art needs will be met.

That said, if it is an option and fits your style, bring your bicycle. There is a small fee for bringing it onthe ferry. Then, choose a small B&B that is away fromthe downtown. In addition to providing your travel into town, it will provide a way to get around, across and through the island. There is a wonderful paved bike path that circles the island for 9 miles.

My family has been staying at a small B&B just past the Mission POint Resort. It is the last commercial establishment before entering the State Park on the raod that circles the island. It is called Small Pointe Inn. It is friendly, comfortable and they serve a nice breakfast. Nothing fancy but the price is right, among the least expensive on the island. We love the place and will be returning this July.

Part of what you may enjoy at the Small Point Inn is that it is away from the hustle and noise of downtown. They have a large porch that sits behind a curtain of lilacs (unfortunately they bloom in May) which adds some privacy. There is easy access to walking along the water. About a quarter mile into the state park, just past Arch Rock, is a long pebble beach that affords easy access for wading or swimming. You may want to be prepared with water sandals or watershoes, as the large pebbles can be a bit much on the feet. THey do not have a website, but you can call them - Small Point B&B 906-847-3758.

Check out the Mackinac Island Chamber of Commerce website for more info www.mackinacisland.org.

Mentioned in this post
Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island
Mackinac County, MI
Arch Rock
Arch Rock
1,998 Reviews
Mackinac Island, MI
5. Re: New-Need to vacate - help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, September 02, 2009