We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Mackinack Island from Canada

Ottawa
2 posts
Save Topic
How to get to Mackinack Island from Canada

Can anyone suggest travel options from Canada to the island please. We will be staying on Manitoulin Island.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Mackinack Island from Canada

Probably the quickest way would be to take Hwy 6 off the island to Hwy 17 west into Sault Ste. Marie.

After you cross the border, take I-75 south. You can catch the ferry to the island from either St. Ignace in the upper peninsula or Mackinaw City at the south end of the Mackinac Bridge. There are signs to direct you to the docks and parking is available for $5 per day.

There are 3 ferry companies, Shepler's, Arnold Lines and Star Ferry. The trip is around $19 and bikes are an additional $7. Bikes are also available for rent on the island.

The drive is about 420 Km/271 miles and should take about 6 hours. Unless you'll have a boat, the only other option would be to strap on your fins and dive in.

The city on the mainland uses the English spelling and the island uses the French spelling, but they're both pronounced Mack-i-naw. If you say Mack-i-nack, you'll be dunked in a pot of fudge. <g>

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Mackinack Island from Canada

If you go, don't miss the chance to drive over the Mackinac Bridge, regardless of the side where you board the ferry.

Ottawa
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Mackinack Island from Canada

Thanks both of you for the helpful info. including tips on pronumciation. It's too bad there's no ferry from Manitoulin Island. I'm not sure if we'll have time for the detour this time but we definitely want to see Mackinack one day.

4. Re: How to get to Mackinack Island from Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, September 01, 2009