We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants

We're going to Mackinac in late June with 3 teen aged children for several days. We've been to Mackinac several times, but haven't been there in years. It would be helpful to have some lunch and dinner restaurant suggestions . What are your favorite places to eat when you're on Mackinac Island?

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

I travel to Mackinac Island with my kids and my extended family nearly every year. The kids range in age from 9 to 24. Our favorite restaurants are The Woods for dinner. Take a cab up to this Grand Hotel owned restaurant. The food is German/Austrian and the atmosphere in the restaurant with the duck pin bowling make it a favorite. Our favorite places for lunch are the Pink Pony at the Chippewa Hotel (don't know why but it is just a tradition) and The Garden Restaurant at Mission Point. You sit outdoors and can plan mini-golf after. Lovely. Moms

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

When we were there last October we fell in love with one of the newer restaurants called the Seabiscuit Cafe and Grog. VERY good food for either lunch or dinner. (We tried both :) )

We are going to the try the Woods when we are there in June, since we've only heard good things about it.

And a trip to the island would not be complete without the Planked Whitefish at Village Inn.

Have fun!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

Thank you both for your suggestions. We're looking forward to our trip!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

One warning about The Woods. The last time I ate there, I had to walk back. There were no cabs available for several hours.

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

Oh lighthouse that is a hike too! I would second the Pink Pony and the Village Inn for the white fish and the best Bloody Marys. There is a place across the street from the Village Inn that is good as well but the name escapes me. I also love the Astor Street Café for lunch. We go here every year for lunch. Jewel (the owner) is great! Very down to earth and full of wonderful stories. Worth the visit just to talk to her. The food is simple but it's homemade and very good in my opinion.

detroit
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

Food on the island is getting better, I suggest a new place Mary's Bistro, it is on the water and the food is wood grilled, it is located by the Starline Dock. The Ice House located behind thew island house hotel is very quiet and private, only locals go there and some in the know tourists, great food and the chefs name is Pete and Angie is the Bartender. Try the Pancake House fopr breakfast or a good cheap lunch

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants

Mary's is really good, we were over for the day a week or two ago and had dinner there while waiting for the last ferry back. We had our dog with us, so it was great to be able to eat on the porch (street side) and keep him right next to our table. The food and service was great and reasonably priced. The cocktails were not very good (flat, warm soda) and were extremely overpriced...even for the island! I think my Jack and Coke was like $8 and not at all good.

8. Re: Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island