We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic route from SE Michigan to Ludington

MI
Level Contributor
70 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic route from SE Michigan to Ludington

Hello. Planning a weekend in Ludington. Can anyone suggest a scenic route so that we can drive along the Lake Michigan cost? Thank you!

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic route from SE Michigan to Ludington

Really depends how close you want to be to Lake MI. Are you considering within viewing distance? There are stretches of roads that hug the coast all the way up but not one continuous route. Also driving time would certainly be a consideration, if you only have a weekend. Coming from SE Michigan, I would suggest starting in Holland. Pick up Lake Shore Drive near Holland State Park. Drive north to Grand Haven. Take the highway north and possibly drive the loop in North Muskegon to White Lake. Cross over White Lake and pick up B15(dont know its county name) which is close to the shore all the way thru Silver Lake, Pentwater, and up into Ludington. Some of this route will give you views of Lake MI between cottages etc especially closer to Ludington at the power plant.

North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
870 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic route from SE Michigan to Ludington

What we usually do is keep turning left (west) towards Lake Michigan or right (north) towards Ludington. : )

Doggy1 has the route down with the North Muskegon loop being Scenic Drive via Ruddiman Drive and White Lake Drive to Business31 to Old Channel Trail Drive in Whitehall.

Does gets a little tricky after this but B15 ( Scenic Drive) is your next target.

Grosse Pointe...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic route from SE Michigan to Ludington

Don't miss Saugatuck and Douglas!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic route from SE Michigan to Ludington

starting from the indy border:

red arrow highway north to st joe----> pick up blue star highway after the river and take it north past south haven--->north of SH, veer left onto adams rd/lakeshore dr up to saugatuck... after this, print yourselves up a map and follow the coast as GREG describes....

i've done this route in both directions and if you got the time, it's definitely worth it, especially if you're on motorcycles! in fact, i've done the southbound from all the way up in mackinaw down to, or close to, the indy border... i think it took me all day to do it (it was in winter about 20 years ago), but it was worth it...

also, it's worth checking out the power station and reservoir south of ludington... a very interesting way of generating electricity, plus the drive along that section is very scenic....

MI
Level Contributor
70 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic route from SE Michigan to Ludington

Thanks so much for all of this!

6. Re: Scenic route from SE Michigan to Ludington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, April 02, 2014