We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather/what to wear for early July in Houghton area

San Diego...
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Weather/what to wear for early July in Houghton area

While I grew up in the eastern U.P. of Michigan, I have lived in southern CA (San Diego) for 10 years and will be visiting the Houghton/Hancock area for the first time in early July. I vaguely recall lots of cold and rainy early summers in the eastern UP but have been told by my Hancock-native partner that is is all but guaranteed to be hot this year. I'm not convinced, and need an idea of how much cool/wet weather gear to pack.

Also not sure how to dress in general. It will be a casual trip with lots of time out by the lake in places like Rabbit Bay and Big Betsy, with trips into town mainly for going out for pizza, dinner and/or drinks. Any helpful hints on how not to look like a tourist?

5 replies to this topic
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
109 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather/what to wear for early July in Houghton area

I'm not sure what the weather is like up in Houghton right now but I can help answer the dressing part of the question. Just dress in jeans/shorts, t-shirt, hoodie. Comfy-casual, I'd say? People normally don't dress too fancy up there. I'd probably bring a light Northface-type/wind breaker jacket with me if I was going by the bay since it tends to get colder (and wetter) there.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather/what to wear for early July in Houghton area

Just liek anywhere in the UP the weather can be very variable in July. I always suggest to people to bring layers. A good pullover layered with a sweater/sweatshirt should get you through any cool temps.

Jeans, shorts and T's will pretty much be acceptable anywhere.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather/what to wear for early July in Houghton area

You will not need a parka or snow suit in July...maybe June ;-)

It's all casual up here. Like Vanessa and 24fan said; dress in layers, bring shorts, swimsuits, and pants for those cooler evenings.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather/what to wear for early July in Houghton area

The link below shows the month of July in 2011 and what the weather was like in Houghton. This does not mean that Houghton will be like this year but it will give you an idea of what the temperatures were in 2011 -

http://tinyurl.com/cbhtlk8

The average High for July, 2011 was 79°

The average Low for July 2011 was 59°

You can drive 20 miles and the weather could be completely different. I think San Diego is similar. You can leave San Diego and travel a bit and the temperatures will be different.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather/what to wear for early July in Houghton area

Thanks to all for the assistance--think I have a handle on it now!

Reply to: Weather/what to wear for early July in Houghton area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted