We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tulip map/ photography

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
tulip map/ photography

For years I have wanted to come and see the tulips in Holland, however have always avoided it due to the crowds. This year have given us the perfect opportunity to come before the crowds. I'm SO excited!!

Lots of questions!!

Being amateur photographers, can you give us some tips for good spots to capture pics... unique angles, unusual things (not only tulips) which would be special about Holland

Somewhere on the web I saw a map of Holland with the driving tours outline...why oh why didn't I bookmark it....can anyone supply a URL for this!

Any other must sees?

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tulip map/ photography

Hope you are planning on coming now, as the tulips are about a month early.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tulip map/ photography

Coming this Friday!!! Hope they won't be past prime!

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tulip map/ photography

Hi vanclan,

What you're looking for are the Tulip Lanes. The link to the map is here:

holland.org/locations/554-where-are-the-tuli…

My favorite picture that I took last year was laying down on the median to get an eye-view picture of the tulips down the street. And I wasn't the only one doing it so there's plenty of photographers wanting to capture the tulips!

We like watching them make wooden shoes. There are a couple places around town to do that. My husband says there are some churches that can be toured, but I don't remember that. If the Knickerbocker theater is open while you're there, it is fairly ornate and makes for some good photos. If the weather cooperates, going out to the lakeshore for a lighthouse photo might be nice.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,071 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: tulip map/ photography

Also planning to come up this weekend, probably Sunday. What effect will the low temperatures tonight and tomorrow night have?

Thanks for posting the map to the Tulip Lanes, downloaded it already.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tulip map/ photography

Thanks for chiming in with the Tulip Map, Luv 2 Snorkel! The map is a great place to get started on finding tulips in Holland! You can stop in to the Visitors Bureau office in Downtown Holland at 76 E. 8th Street on Saturday or Sunday to pick up a copy, as well as other information! (Between New Holland Brewing Company and the Knickerbocker Theatre)

The cool weather this week has really helped to prolong the lives of the tulips! Cold temperatures do not negatively affect the tulips; they are very hardy flowers! The tulips generally close at night and open up more as the day progresses, especially if it is warm and sunny.

The Visitors Bureau is also seeking photos for our 2013 visitors guide, so if you have any great tulip shots, please email to lucy@holland.org or tag as Holland, Michigan on Flickr- we'll get in touch if we would like to use a photo!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tulip map/ photography

Oh wow Tripadvisor friends to the rescue again! That's the map I was hunting for... Thanks for the photo suggestions... can't wait to try them!! I'm so excited!!

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tulip map/ photography

Have fun vanclan-it is a great city! And I was going to suggest lying down to get even with the tulips, but luv2 beat me to it! You might want to take a drive out to the lighthouse, too.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,071 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: tulip map/ photography

Just returned this evening from our day trip to see the tulips - thanks for posting the map, definitely came in handy, the route is also marked with "tulip lane" markers. Tulips on both sides of the road are really pretty - assume the city takes care of planting them?

We went out to the tulip farm, and spent considerable time just wandering around looking at the different varieties. This is definitely the peak time for the tulips this year, even many late ones are already blooming. There was also a nice display at the parks along the tulip route, especially Window on the Waterfront. Had a late lunch at the New Holland Brewing Company. At Centennial Park, there were several little children dressed at least partially in Dutch costumes, and a couple were wearing wooden shoes - not quite sure what was going on but they were certainly cute!

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: tulip map/ photography

Glad you had such a wonderful day- and that the rain held off!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tulip map/ photography

Had a wonderful weekend in Holland...shot tons of pictures, from the tulip fields to the tulip lanes, Big Red, Kirk Park... Visited downtown Holland and met the friendly staff at the Holland Tourist Info office...but somehow we missed Lucy :( We learned about all the activities that happen throughout the summer in Holland. Since we are part of our town's Cultural Action Team, we are always interested in what other towns and cities are doing to promote their downtown areas and cultural activities.

And the weather surprised us...we were prepared for lots of rain and it only rained during the night. The sun even managed to shine on our weekend. Thanks to everyone who helped us have such an awesome weekend!

Get answers to your questions about Holland