We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holland, Saugatuck and Grand Haven

Midwest
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Holland, Saugatuck and Grand Haven

We are planning to take our daughter and 3 grandchildren to this area. Where is the best location to stay, not to expensive, since we will need 2 rooms. What family type restaurants would you recommend. Any other must see things to do advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,884 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holland, Saugatuck and Grand Haven

skip holland.

grand haven has an awesome beach. the bluewater inn is right across from the beach and if you can score a suite room with the kitchenette, i think it would suit your needs well. like i said in my review last year, it's not the marriott, so don't get your expectations too high.

saugatuck is great, but beach access is more of an issue. if you stay there, i'd recommend the beachway resort----old timey inn near the river, and not too far from the beach. they have kitchenette units.

if it were me, i'd look into st joe, which has many kid friendly attractions, plus several hotels near the lake. it's less than an hour from saugatuck and maybe 1.5 hours, or less, from grand haven....

either way, all of these destinations are great in summertime!! but you will pay for it!

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
948 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holland, Saugatuck and Grand Haven

If you could give a few more details such as ages, budget and types of activities I'll be glad to give you some suggestions. Thanks.

Midwest
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holland, Saugatuck and Grand Haven

Grandchildren are 13, 12 and 10. They enjoy most activities. I think they would enjoy seeing Holland, but not sure how long that would interest them. I would really would like to keep the room prices at $175 & under. Looking for good family restaurants that are not real expensive that might have children's menus, especially for breakfast and lunch. Thanks for your help.

Alton
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holland, Saugatuck and Grand Haven

As mentioned above the Beachway in Saugatauk is a great choice and

has a nice pool which would keep your grandkids occupied when not

sightseeing. Oval Beach is just a short drive away, a couple of blocks

from the Beachway. There is a small fee to enter the beach during the

day. Saugatauk is a fun little town with lots of different types of shops

everything from pizza places to five star dining. Just north of town there

is a great dune buggy ride where they take you out on the dunes, great

for any age.

Holland really does'nt have a lot to offer the older grandkids while

Grand Haven has a nice beach and a walkway to the lighthouse.

My daughter and grandkids just got back from Saugatauk and we gone there for years with our family.

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
948 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holland, Saugatuck and Grand Haven

Strangetripper and Alton both have good suggestions. Saugatuck has a neat little chain ferry that takes you across the river for a unique ride, and you can rent kayaks in Douglas for a little paddling in the Kalamazoo River.

If you prefer a more traditional room, the Grand Haven Days Inn has a nice pool and is only about 5 minutes to the beach. The Holiday Inn in Spring Lake is right on the Grand River, has a pool and nice view of a marina across the river (as well as their own), and has a bike path that you can ride completely around Spring Lake (about 12 1/2 miles). You can ride a bike path from Grand Haven as far as the south side of Holland as well. The Ottawa County Parks system has some outstanding parks with hiking trails of all levels, many of which lead to the beaches on Lake Michigan (www.co.ottawa.mi.us/ParksVI/Parks/select.htm). And as Strangetripper said, we have beautiful beaches with a great boardwalk that follows the Grand River all the way to the state park and the lighthouse. As far as restaurants go, you 'll find anything you want here. There are chains such as Applebees, Culvers and Tim Horton's (new), to many in town where you can dine al fresco. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
747 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holland, Saugatuck and Grand Haven

Just my quick two cents worth........I would suggest Grand Haven from the three. Saugatuck is geared more for adults and the beach isn't easily accessible. Holland, well, if you drive by and look at the windmill, you've pretty much covered that. Grand Haven has more options for your grandchildren.

BTW, you could stop in South Haven or take a day trip here. You could visit the Maritime Museum and then spend the day at the North Beach, grab some yummy sandwiches from North Side Memories on your way from the Museum to the beach.

(Sorry had to plug SH too! LOL)

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holland, Saugatuck and Grand Haven

I like "COLDS" suggestion !!!!

Midwest
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holland, Saugatuck and Grand Haven

Thanks to you all for all of your great replies, much appreciated.

9. Re: Holland, Saugatuck and Grand Haven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, October 05, 2012