We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulip Festival in Holland / South Holland

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Tulip Festival in Holland / South Holland

Anyone been to the tulip festival? Thinking of maybe making a 2day roadtrip there for it. Where should we stay Holland or South Holland - or it doesn't matter. We are 2 adults and 5 & 2.5 yr old.

thanks.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulip Festival in Holland / South Holland

I've been to a couple of the festivals. Holland is small, really and you most likely would be staying out on US 31. Most of the hotels are just a bit north by the mall area or there are a couple between 16th and 32nd. You could be as far south as Saugatuck though and still only be fifteen minutes away. Its interesting but not my cup of tea.. All the flowers are cool though, enjoy the area things are really starting to get going by then.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulip Festival in Holland / South Holland

Not sure what you meant by South Holland? South Haven maybe? You'll find a lot more b and b's in the Saugatuck, Douglas, South Haven, area. SH has a lot of chain hotels at exit 20. You'd be about a 30 minute drive from Holland.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulip Festival in Holland / South Holland

Hmmmm. For some reason I thought there was a South Holland? Guess not. NO wonder I had a difficult time Google-ing it and the tulip festival. Anyway, we usually visit the Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan and never have done the Michigan side. Only time was when me and a couple buddies, in my single years, went to New Buffalo for a day of boating and the boat died on the Lake - my 2 buddies swam to shore and we got towed in. lol

Holland it is and plan to drive through Saugautauk to check it out. We'll probably return a couple times in the summer when it is warmer to enjoy the water, weather, beach and shopping.

Thanks Rono.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulip Festival in Holland / South Holland

When I lived in Saugatuck we called it the "Stem Festival" because most years the Tulips were either past bloom or before bloom. ALOT of people show up for that. it's best to book far in advance as rooms are filled up often a year in advance. You might end up staying in Wyoming or South Haven. Saugatuck usually fills up fast too.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulip Festival in Holland / South Holland

Hopefully, it's not the " stem festival " and of the blooming when you're there variety when we are there. :=) Will check into hotels soon, thanks Lungfruit.

Holland, MI
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulip Festival in Holland / South Holland

You all may be pleased to learn that the Stem Festival is no longer. The city moved Tulip Time up to actually coincide with the tulips blooming, and the last couple of years have been absolutely fabulous with tulips.

You may also be pleased to learn that Holland has been building hotels like crazy. There are some five new hotels just the last year or so, with more on the way. Most are on US 31 as there are no hotels in downtown Holland right now. You can order a Max bus to take you downtown so you don't have to find parking, and order one to take you back to your hotel. Hotels may also have a shuttle service during Tulip Time as well.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulip Festival in Holland / South Holland

We tend to see the whole area-give or take-30 miles on both sides of Holland. You can do Holland in one day-take a drive along the tulip path, see Dutch Village, and the tulip garden center. We ride out to the state park, and climb the sand dune. Then it is off to Saugatuck, Grand Haven and the likes. You could spread out a visit to Holland over 2 days, but by then you'd of covered every bit of it. The downtown shopping is nice, but so are the other towns along that strip of Lake Michigan.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulip Festival in Holland / South Holland

There are 2 hotels located downtown Holland now. I know a brand new botique one just opened within the last 2 months. Hope College also runs a big 4 story motel open to the public.

9. Re: Tulip Festival in Holland / South Holland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Holland