We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

downtown dining near JW Marriott downtown

Which Grand Rapids hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
downtown dining near JW Marriott downtown

I will be staying one night (Friday) in July at this hotel, and driving in from St. Louis. Any recs for a mid-priced restaurant with very good food and service...all genres of food welcome. Someplace with a nice view and perhaps on the quieter side would be nice.

Michigan
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: downtown dining near JW Marriott downtown

If you want to stay downtown (walking distance), you have many restaurant choices. However, most don't have a view to speak of.

My favorite restaurant in GR is San Chez. It is a tapas restaurant. If you sit upstairs it is quieter (and if you sit near the balcony it is great for people watching). I have always had great service here. The hardest thing is deciding what to choose!

Other downtown restaurants that I like: Leo's (seafood, can be pricy) The Chop House (steak house, pricy) Bar Divani (yes it's a bar but they have good food). Also there is the B.O.B., a former warehouse converted into several restaurants and bars.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: downtown dining near JW Marriott downtown

I looked at Divani, looks like what I am looking for. They even have a birthday club...I'll be there within a week of my birthday, so a free entree! Thanks!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,807 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: downtown dining near JW Marriott downtown

Sounds like you found what you're looking for but I'll just add Bistro Bella Vita.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: downtown dining near JW Marriott downtown

I'll gladly take additional suggestions. Downtown seems like such a vibrant place...great!

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: downtown dining near JW Marriott downtown

Bistro Bella Vita would easily be my choice for a mid priced restaurant.

If you want a view, you could have some drinks at Charley's Crab, maybe an appetizer, then walk over to BBV for a very good dinner.

Enjoy

Art

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
931 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: downtown dining near JW Marriott downtown

Charley's Crab or even the B.O.B., which offers a couple of dining options, one of which offers some outdoor seating. You have a lot of good choices, all nearby.

Northwest Michigan
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: downtown dining near JW Marriott downtown

If you want something "with a view", might want to consider Bentham's located within the Amway Grand. It overlooks the Grand River. The Amway Grand is very close to the Marriott and can be accessed without going outside via the skywalk.

http://www.amwaygrand.com/benthams.html

Another suggest is The Bull's Head Tavern. It is directly across Monroe St. from the Amway Grand. This is more upscale than a typical "tavern". There are non-typical meats offered on their menu such as Ostrich and Buffalo burgers.

http://www.thebullsheadtavern.com/

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: downtown dining near JW Marriott downtown

Thanks all very much for your kind suggestions. I have enough suggestions for many days in downtown GR! I'll let you know what I do. I am looking forward to seeing what GR has done with its riverfront, I can see already it's far nicer and more convivial than what St. Louis has done with its riverfront - it never really progressed beyond the wharf and warehouse stage (and most of those enterprises are long gone), and is mostly barren.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: downtown dining near JW Marriott downtown

Thanks for the advice here...I did go to Bar Divani and had a very good meal (with a free birthday entree). It was pretty late, around 9:30 or so, and the place was lively, but not too crazy. The JW Marriott was a lovely place to stay and for the size of the city, Grand Rapids' downtown is one of the most attractive I have seen.

Edited: 12:15 am, July 18, 2011
10. Re: downtown dining near JW Marriott downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 19, 2012