We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a christmas visit

kalamazoo
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
a christmas visit

my husband and i are hosting 2 neices and 2 nephews for a visit to grand rapids as a holiday gift. girls - 11 and 17. boys 12 and 15. we are looking for a downtown hotel (walk to museums) that has a nice indoor pool. and where would we/ could we find holiday displays to stroll by? and can i request information for a nicer dining place to celebrate a holiday meal/evening too - or should i post another message to the forum? weekend of 12/19

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a christmas visit

I would spend an evening at the Frederick Meijer Gardens to enjoy the holiday displays. meijergardens.org/calendar/christmas_around_…

Moms

kalamazoo
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a christmas visit

thank you - that is definitly on our agenda!

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a christmas visit

Your best choices for a hotel would probably be the Amway Grand Plaza or the Courtyard. Both are downtown and moderately priced for the location. The Marriott is also in the area but average price is a bit more. The Holiday Inn isn't too far out of the way and is a little less.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn back when it was a Days Inn - wasn't bad but understand they are making improvements. The Amway Grand Plaza has a more historical feel. I've attended meetings both here and the Courtyard - nice places. All are listed as having a pool, but I wouldn't expect very much in terms of size.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a christmas visit

So I just spent 30 minutes on a detailed reply only to lose it to a network snafu! Anyway, I'm going to try and express the same sentiments, but this re-type has to be a condensed version, sorry.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that you should hands down stay at the Amway...we spend 3-4 weekends a year at the Amway and it's top notch in every regard...no comparison to Courtyard or Holiday Inn. Aside from staying with friends & family, the Amway's the only place we stay in Grand Rapids. You might pay slightly more, but the experience will be much more special and memorable. IMO, you won't find a better hotel experience in the same price range.

As for dining, it really depends on what kind of food/atmosphere you're looking for. There are a lot of great restaurants right in the downtown area and many more throughout the GR area. Here are a few of my favorites right downtown: San Chez on Fulton St. for Spanish Tapas, Louis Benton on Monroe Center for steaks, Charlie's Crab on Market St. for seafood, Bistro Bella Vita on Grandville Ave. for fresh, contemporary Mediterranean, Vitale's on Leonard St. for Italian (this one's a drive) and for a special occasion you might consider Cygnus at the top of the Amway...great food and service with beautiful city views.

Hope this helps, have a great trip!

kalamazoo
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a christmas visit

thank you both for your responses. we ARE looking for that memorable experience...

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a christmas visit

I 2nd DHC's Cygnus' recommendation!! We have eaten there a few times and it is excellent! Great views, obviously ask for a table by the window if possible. You will be a happy camper!

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a christmas visit

What about Rosie's on the lake in East Grand Rapids? Love the atmosphere and the have pizza which the kids might like!

raleigh, nc
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a christmas visit

Unfortunately, the Amway and all it's restaurants are closed the 24th through the 27th.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a christmas visit

J W Marriot without a question. This has to be my favorite Hotel anywhere, and they have a very nice indoor pool. Staying downtown is really nice at Xmas time, with all the lights, restaurants, museums, concerts, hockey games, and carriage rides. You are also very close to Cannonsburg Ski, or Pando Mountain Tubing hills for the kids. There is also a Xmas lights show that you drive thru at 5th Third Ballpark.

Enjoy

Art

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a christmas visit

If you are looking for a nice dinner, I second Bistro Bella Vita, Louis Benton, and Leo's Seafood. Skip Charleys Crabhouse, over rated big time.

I would say BBV is the best for the dollar, no question.

Art