We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer

Ohio
Level Contributor
172 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer

Heading to Frankenmuth next week for the first time. We have a room booked at Bavarian Inn...river side with balcony. Any suggestions or "must do's" while there? Thanks!

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer

The biggest "must do" for most in Frankenmuth is a visit to Bronner's Christmas Wonderland. See: http://www.bronners.com/

Other than that, there are so many things to do, depending on your interests, the weather, and your mood. Often times I've just walked up & down Main St. to visit the little shops and see what I find. There's something for everyone, and different things in different seasons. Look also at:

http://www.frankenmuth.org/

Or just ask around at the hotel for different ideas. If you're there all week, you might want to head to the Birch Run Outlets for shopping, or visit the antique shops in downtown Bay City.

Ohio
Level Contributor
172 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer

Thank you! I will check those out.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer

There are horse and carriage rides, though I tend to think they are too expensive (around $30 last time we took one..). Only last about 20 minutes.

Like BayGuy states, lots of very unique stores/shops in Fmuth. Be sure and have a chicken dinner at either Bavarian Inn or Zehnders. The bakery in the basement (lower level is more of a proper term I guess) of Zehnder's is incredible!

There is Michigan's Own Military Museum if that interests you, along with the Frankenmuth Historical Museum, which is pretty nice. I do not believe the riverboat will be running that early in the season, but check anyways. And be sure and check that website-there seems to always be a festival running in Fmuth and you might be there while one is happening.

Frankenmuth...
Level Contributor
8 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer

All subjects well pointed except I know that a $30.00 carriage ride is normal rates for a horse drawn attraction. In NY City it would be over $50.

You can join a pretzel rolling experience at Bavarian Inn Restaurant. Daily in the early afternoon they take you behind the scenes and share the history of the pretzel and you tie your own pretzel, (big ones) and they bake it and you eat it afterwards! Great for all ages of the family (aprons and all!)

Swimming in the 5 indoor pools and use of 3 whirlpools is good and you can go to the cashier in the Ratskeller REstaurant, they have a Mural Hunt sheet they can give you to do a family hunt for specific fun items in the large mural they have over their dance floor in the Ratskeller. Should be family karaoke too if any of your family can carry a tune!

ENJOY!

5. Re: First Timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, June 25, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Frankenmuth