We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping Bear Dunes Trail HELP!

Solon, Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sleeping Bear Dunes Trail HELP!

Hello-

I am driving up to Sleeping Bear later this week. I am going up with some friends. We would like to choose the best trail that has the best overlook of Lake Michigan. Also If you have knowledge on any of the other trails, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brad

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeping Bear Dunes Trail HELP!

Sorry, I can't give you any personal experience advice on this. It's been a few years since I visited there. Maybe you've seen web site alreadyon the different hiking trails:

www.sleepingbeardunes.com/summer_hiking.php

From viewing these maps I would choose either Platte Plains, or Empire Bluffs.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeping Bear Dunes Trail HELP!

There is a nice paved road that lets you drive back there, part of the park. It is very scenic and easy to find. The entrance is very close to the climbing dunes themselves, part of the national park. Highly recommended. Very scenic and takes you to the top and a breathtaking view of Lake Michigan. The only other trail that I know of, is the 2-3 mile, hike on foot to Lake Michigan that starts at the top of the climbing sand dune. That estimate of distance is ONE way by the way. Only for people in great shape. All Sand, not a paved or groomed trail. Take lots of water if you choose that one. Much more enjoyable is the drive. There are areas to park and get out and look along that drive. Kind of a self guided tour I suppose. There is a visitor's information center for the dunes. Im thinking its Empire, Mi, shouldn't be hard to find once your in that area. There might be a park fee, but it isn't expensive.

Get answers to your questions about Empire