We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Things for kids to do in greater Lansing area

Level Contributor
43 posts
117 reviews
Help! Things for kids to do in greater Lansing area

Hey all:

If you haven't heard yet, there will be a bajillion kids descending upon the greater East Lansing area at the end of May for the Odyssey of the Mind championships.

As a MSU alum, I'm thrilled to be returning but am fully aware that East Lansing/Okemos isn't exactly the kiddy summer vacation capital of the US. I'm looking for some creative suggestions about what to do around the area while we are in between performances.

I saw that the Impressions 5 museum is still around and I figure that the ice arena will be open for public skating. However, I'm also wondering if there are any outdoor activities around the area. (River rafting, great places to hike, etc.) We're flying into Grand Rapids so we might have time to head to the lakeshore post-tournament, but I don't think we'll want to drive farther than 45 minutes outside of town during the week.

Any suggestions you might offer will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
225 posts
83 reviews
1. Re: Help! Things for kids to do in greater Lansing area

Firegirl -

You didn't mention how old the children are....

However, here are a few suggestions:

* Impression Five Museum

* Potter Park Zoo

* Suburban Ice (they have open skating certain times of week - and it's just off MSU's campus in Hannah Center)

* State Capitol Building - was completely restored about 15 years ago, and is a great visit.

* Michigan Historical Museum downtown Lansing

* Kresge Art Museum - on MSU campus

* 4-H Children's garden - on MSU campus

* Abrams Planetarium - MSU campus - great shows for kids and adults

* Entomology Museum - MSU campus

* MSU Butterfly House

* MSU Museum

* Michigan Supreme Court Learning Center (downtown Lansing)

* Canoe rental - on MSU's campus

* Some of the MSU farms offer tours -- depending on background of kids, some think watching a cow being milked is great fun!

The campus that time of year is very pretty as well...have fun!

Mount Laurel, New...
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Help! Things for kids to do in greater Lansing area

I had a great time in East Lansing/Lansing with my kids last summer. Click on the Michigan Overview section on the left hand side of this page. You will find a "Museums" section. Mine is the post regarding the Capitol building and other things.

Like you I went to school at MSU, I also grew up in East Lansing. It was fun finding the new and not so new things to do with the kids. Have a great time! Moms

3. Re: Help! Things for kids to do in greater Lansing area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 29, 2009