We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great trip to Douglas/Pines Motorlodge

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Great trip to Douglas/Pines Motorlodge

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help with our visit to Douglas/Saugatuck. There were 10 of us and with the additional help of Rob & Steve of the Pines Motorlodge in Douglas we had a great trip. Friday we met up with friends in Saugautck at the Butler Inn for a quick bite after which we walked around town a little bit. We met everyone at the Pines Motorlodge, a very retro motel that has been completely redone with new interiors, new Amish beds. A continental breakfast was available every morning. Rob & Steve arranged for all 10 of us to eat dinner at Everyday Cafe in Douglas (walkable from Pines) that night. The food was great, loved the fact that we could get small plates as well as full dinners. And the live music was just a nice addition. After dinner a couple of guys went back into Saugatuck to White House to listen to live music.

Saturday the weather was not as cooperative so we tried to come up with ways to spend our time. We headed to Fennville, Crane's Pies for coffee & freshly made cider doughnuts. We then headed over to Fenn Winery. Unfortunately they were not doing tours that day but we certainly were able to sample multiple wines. Then back to Saugatuck for lunch at Wally's. Loved the collectibles shop on Water as well as the Olive Oil & Vinegar store. I got some holiday shopping done. We all headed back to Pines and some of us decided to walk to Douglas to check out the shops. Everyone was so friendly and pet-friendly. Saturday night was the adults only Halloween Parade in Douglas, not to be missed. We went to Clearbrook Grill Room for another fantastic dinner and were able to make it back to the parade in plenty of time. After the parade a couple of guys went back into Saugatuck to the Boathouse for live music and Costume Party.

Sunday, we stopped at Kalico Kitchen in Douglas for a great breakfast. I want to thank everyone for their input and heartily recommend Pines Motorlodge.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great trip to Douglas/Pines Motorlodge

I'm bringing this post back from the dead!

I will be spending a weekend at the Pines Motorlodge in October. This gives me a lot of good ideas for things to eat and things to do while there and also makes me excited to stay where we are (and at such a good rate!).

We will be leaving the area on Saturday during the day to either go biking, hiking or driving to see fall colors (if there) or just to enjoy the season.

Can anyone comment on the Allegan State Game area? Is it a good place to hike or bike? I'm looking for woodsy but not too strenuous, as far as hike/bike paths go. Are there any other areas fairly close by (within 45 minutes) that might offer what I'm thinking of?

2. Re: Great trip to Douglas/Pines Motorlodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, September 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Douglas