We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Needed In Planning Our Trip

Which Detroit hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Topic
Help Needed In Planning Our Trip

hi, we are a couple travelling from Ireland hopefully in April 2014. Just starting to plan our trip and would like advice on where to go first.

Our plan is to visit NO for 4 nights, Nashville for 3 nights, Memphis for 2 Nights and Detroit for 2 Nights. I can add an extra night here or there if needed.

My thoughts are that we wont use the car much in each area and would prefer train/bus/plane between cities.

How would you do it and where to start/finish????

Many thanks in advance for the help to get started

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Needed In Planning Our Trip

You will need a car in Detroit as public transit is poor and sights are spread across a wide area. Southwest Airlines, one of the discount carriers offers direct flights between Detroit, Memphis, Nashville and New Orleans. Detroit's largest, Delta, also offers direct flights to the other three cities. The other carriers would require a connection.

I'd start wherever you can get the best airfare. You may also want to balance that against the hassles of that particular flight. Flying DUB to MEM, BNA or MSY will entail more connections from DUB than to DTW.

Amtrak serves Memphis, New Orleans, and Detroit, but not Nashville. Although, you have to connect from the south in Chicago and the total journey between New Orleans and Detroit would be around 25 hours plus a 4-hour layover in Chicago.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
280 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Needed In Planning Our Trip

In Detroit, the public transportation is not good, and a car is probably your best bet.

As for plane, I would fly Dublin to Atlanta, then Atlanta to New Orleans.

New Orleans to Nashville.

Nashville to Memphis.

Memphis to Detroit.

Detroit to Atlanta, then Atlanta to Dublin, ALL on Delta

3. Re: Help Needed In Planning Our Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 08, 2014