We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter classic

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
winter classic

My boyfriend and I are coming to Detroit and staying at the Marriott downtown. I was wondering will there be transportation to take from downtown to Ann Arbor Big house on Jan 1/14. He has bought the tickets already and booked the hotel. Is the bus station close to where we are staying as I don't think we should drive due the bad stretch of highway between london and windsor

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,737 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: winter classic

If you mean the Greyhound station, it is a little over a mile from the Marriott. There is a people mover stop that would be about a 1/2 mile walk.

There is typically no scheduled transportation to Ann Arbor for games. There could be some special plans for the winter classic, but t is so early I doubt anything is announced. You could take Amtrak or Greyhound, but then you have the issue of getting to and from the stations, hotel, stadium, etc.

A car is the best way to explore the Detroit area.

A car is the best way to get around. The bus would be taking the same highway anyway. You also have the option of taking the 402 to Sarnia and entering the US at the Bluewater bridge if there are issues with the 401. It is only a few miles/minutes longer.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winter classic

Downtown Detroit and Ann Arbor are quite far from one another. I also recommend having a car - there will not be any transporation options from Detroit to Ann Arbor. Also, who knows what weather will be like that morning....relying on public transportation in the Metro Detroit area is not a good idea. If I were you, I would check hotels in the area closer to Ann Arbor (Ypsilanti, Canton, Belleville). I am sure hotel rates in Ann Arbor itself are going to be astronomical during that time frame.

Detroit
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: winter classic

I would check with RobertQ in London, they have a shuttle from London to the Wayne County/Detroit Metropolitan Airport. For events in Downtown Detroit, you can do all of that on foot or with the Detroit People Mover. From Detroit to Ann Arbor? Unless a shuttle is announced a rental car sounds like the best option. We will be at the DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Detroit Downtown and looking forward to the fun.

K J
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
683 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: winter classic

I too and looking for information on something organized. I plan to drive down in the early AM from Toronto.

I am not going to be spending NYE in Detroit but have booked a hotel room at the MGM in Detroit on the night of the 1st.

If there is nothing official, I will probably drive, not drink, watch the game and drive home. I really hope there is something official and organized.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: winter classic

I have friends who booked thru a travel company and they have round trip transfers to and from their hotel to the game. This is the only transportation I have heard of so far. I would keep checking back to see what kind of transportation will be provided between downtown Detroit and Ann Arbor. I don’t think twice about the commute as I do this for every football home game. I would assume that they will be doing some of the same things they do on football Saturdays such as parking at Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor and then transporting patrons over to the stadium. My best advice if you chose to drive to AA is to get there early and park. I would walk around downtown AA and grab breakfast & coffee or set up a tailgate until game time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: winter classic

good insights on the the day of the game, I think staying overnight in Michigan on NYE is a necessary evil, I just don't want to be stressed the day of the game, you never know what the border may be like....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
284 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: winter classic

Amtrak runs a 1 hour train between Detroit and Ann Arbor three times a day, for $13.

Thunder Bay
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: winter classic

Happy Time Tours has many different packages to offer, tickets only, tickets with shuttle, hotel & shuttle or the complete package tickets, hotel & shuttle. All info & pricing online

httours.com/Winter_Classic_Tickets_Packages.…

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: winter classic

The suggestion to take the 402 through Ontario rather than the 401 is rather debatable. If the weather is questionable, I would seriously recommend 401 rather than 402. The 402 has many long open stretches, which, if there is blowing snow become extremely hazardous. 402 will close much sooner than the 401 due to road conditions. It also has a much longer distance which is in the pathway of lake effect snow. Finally its a long ways between exits and towns in comparison to 401 which is a corridor with lots of cities and towns adjoining the highway.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: winter classic

You just have to pay attention to the weather on the day of travel...