We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trumbull Street Hotels - Corktown Inn

CT
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Trumbull Street Hotels - Corktown Inn

Hi, does anyone know about the area of the Corktown Inn in Detroit, it is on 1331 Trumbull Street. Is it a safe area with things to do around, is it within walking to distance to Comerica Park?

Thank you

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
981 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trumbull Street Hotels - Corktown Inn

Mmmmm..... Corktown is OK, I guess. I don't know about the Inn. The area is having some small pockets of revitalization. But it's not great. It's in the vicinity of old Tiger Stadium, corner of Michigan Avenue and Trumbull... but is NOT walking distance to Comerica Park.

Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Atheneum Hotel in Greektown are walkable. Marriott and Courtyard are right downtown on the riverfront (Jefferson Avenue) and perhaps they run shuttles to the park.

helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trumbull Street Hotels - Corktown Inn

It is very urban and as mentioned projects and entrepenuers are returning to the general area. However, alot is yet to be refurbished. Trumbull is the home of Tiger Stadium -I am sure the loss of the ballpark with MLB in the summer has had an effect for small businesses in the area. There is a long history of Irish settlement in the area and a few nice resteraunts which they run etc..

Your experience would be a different one as tourists generally don't frequent the area I wouldn't call it dangerous but after dark it isn't an area to stroll and wander about per se

Never the less enjoy - I am sure the mentioned hotel can give much more information about the area and sites

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trumbull Street Hotels - Corktown Inn

I'm with AddieBee on her comment regarding walking distance from Comerica. Michigan Avenue from Woodward to Trumbull is pretty much a waste land, and a considerable hike to and from Comerica Park. Corktown itself is an oasis in the blight. There are a couple of terrific bars in the vicinity(Nemo's, The Lager House), and at least two wonderful restaurants: Slows Barbeque, and Baile Corcaigh, an upscale Irish Pub. You'll be surrounded by others doing as you do. Later in the evening the crowds dissipate.

If you choose Corktown Inn, Bobbysox, choose also to party in the vicinity of the ballpark and the Greektown neighborhood. Cab in and away.

Welcome to Detroit. Go Tigers!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
981 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trumbull Street Hotels - Corktown Inn

That's true. The Corktown neighborhood is kinda cool and has it's own cohesive and unique nature. But I don't know about the hotel - if it's a wise choice for lodging. Couldn't seem to find much about it., i.e. guest reviews. There is a Web site for the neighborhood association, maybe that would be of some help -

www.corktowndetroit.org/2005/index.html

5. Re: Trumbull Street Hotels - Corktown Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 14, 2009