We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter weekend in Detroit

Chicago
Level Contributor
318 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Winter weekend in Detroit

We're coming in for a Sat night event so we're looking for things to do Fri night and Sat day. It will be cold so we don't want to walk around downtown too much, we will have a car.

Wondering about a decent (not too $) hotel and some historic activities perhaps. We also like to eat, so some unique good restaurant ideas would be great.

Thanks!

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,118 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Winter weekend in Detroit

"I'm sure some would have mentioned Greenfield Village but your desire not to walk nixed this wonderful historical venue."

Agree that it is a wonderful venue, but it is closed in winter anyway, so it is not an option for littleworm. The all-indoor Henry Ford Museum, however, is open.

Edited: 6:19 pm, January 10, 2013
Michigan
Level Contributor
822 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Winter weekend in Detroit

For a seriously wonderful meal, go eat at Gastronomy. It's located in Southfield-- and about the only reason I'd ever venture into Southfield.

www.theepicureangroup.com/gastronomy.html

http://www.yelp.com/biz/gastronomy-southfield

I agree with Beverly Hills Grill for an enjoyable breakfast or brunch out that way.

yelp.com/biz/beverly-hills-grill-beverly-hil…

I generally find Greektown boring, though I haven't tried Santorini (new Greek restaurant) yet so I may go for that.

www.yelp.com/biz/santorini-estiatorio-detroit

I think Henry Ford Museum (all indoors), Detroit Institute of Arts (all indoors) and the Zoo (part and part) are all good ideas. I'm always kind of amazed at how impressed out-of-towners tend to be with the

DIA-- a case of taking the familiar for granted I guess. The DIA is open until 10 pm on Fridays and usually schedules live music events for those evenings.

http://www.dia.org/calendar/

www.dia.org/calendar/friday-nights.aspx

If you decide on the DIA I'd suggest Bucharest Grill (about a mile and a half South) for a quick, cheap, enjoyable meal before or after.

www.yelp.com/biz/bucharest-grill-detroit

I din't know whether to suggest West Warren Ave in West Dearborn for part of your available time or not, because I don't know whether Chicago has a middle eastern/Muslim neighborhood. I always enjoy going there for the many food shops and restaurants, and just the "other" ambience in general. Most places along that strip are open late, which to me is another plus. I like the sometimes-chaotic Super Greenland Market especially for their deli counter. Hashem's and Harb Imports offer spices, nuts, coffees and teas. My favorite carry-out for sandwiches is Tuhama's. Hamido usually gets my business for sit-down traditional middle eastern meals, and Cedarland for more homestyle fare. Whenever I'm in the area you'll definitely find me at Shatila for sweets and for their great ice cream- yes, any time of year.

Edited: 12:33 am, January 15, 2013
Michigan
Level Contributor
822 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Winter weekend in Detroit

I need to retract my Gastronomy restaurant recommendation. The chef who made the place worth going to is gone.

http://goo.gl/2ilc5

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Winter weekend in Detroit

For a quick comparison you try Lafayette Coney Island versus American Coney Island if you like Coney dogs...

If you are partial to BBQ, I'd rush to Slow's Bar BQ, just awesome food!!

Hockey is back, so you may want to try to catch a Red Wings game at Joe Louis Arena...

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
25 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Winter weekend in Detroit

We went to the Henry Ford museum last year and I wish we had been able to stay longer, it was fantastic. His "collection" includes everything from full size steam engines to the John Kennedy assasination car to antique dining chairs. We didn't have time to take the bus to the Rouge River Plant tour, would love to have done that. I can't recommend it highly enough.

16. Re: Winter weekend in Detroit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 25, 2014