We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detroit into Canada

UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Detroit into Canada

I posted last week to get help about a trip to Detroit to see our son. While we are there we are planning to go into Canada and someone on here has already advised me to make sure we have birth certificates with us - thanks for that. Other than that are there any complications crossing the border into Canada? Do we need any other documents with us? And is there a fee to cross? And finally, does anyone know about how long the drive is to Niagara Falls, and also to Toronto? Thanks, Curlycat.

Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Detroit into Canada

Being from the UK, you should have your passport to cross into Canada and back into the US. I actually don't know any specifics of crossing the border if you are neither a citizen nor a permanent resident of either country, so hopefully someone who has experienced that can chime in.

One thing to make sure of - if you are renting a car, be sure they will allow you to take it into Canada.

Drive time from Detroit is roughly 4.5 hours to either Niagara Falls or Toronto. You can get driving directions at maps.google.com

There is a fee to use the bridge or tunnel to cross at the border. Don't know what it is - likely a few dollars each direction, but I'm sure you can find websites to let you know. The bridge is the Ambassador Bridge if you want to search for that for details.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Detroit into Canada

If it's the same price as crossing the border at Port Huron, it will be $2 USD to cross from the US and $2.50 CDN to cross from Canada I think.