We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few hours in Detroit

Which Detroit hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
709 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
A few hours in Detroit

I'm planning a day trip up to the Ikea in Canton at the beginning of next month. Because it's over to the west side of the metro area, I was thinking I'd head over to Ann Arbor because there are some bookstores there I like.

But I realize that it's been years since I really looked around Detroit. We used to go up a lot when I was a kid, since my parents had friends up there, but that's been years ago. I used to live in Canada, and have passed through hundreds of times on my way between Ohio and Canada, but since I was always in the middle of a long driving trip, I never really took the time to stop, beyond the occasional lunch in Royal Oak.

What would locals recommend seeing if I'm just there for a few hours on a Saturday afternoon (I have tickets to the hockey game at Bowling Green State U that night, so I need to be down there by seven)? I'm not really big into tourist attractions per se. I like interesting neighborhoods with lots of little shops, cafes, etc to check out. I'm hugely interested in used bookstores -- a friend in Windsor told me once that there's a huge one in an old factory or warehouse somewhere in Detroit?

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few hours in Detroit

Your Windsor friend probably was referring to John K. King Used and Rare Books. Their main store is at the Howard Street exit off the Lodge Freeway (US 10). Howard is the exit before Cobo Hall. Address is 901 W. Lafayette and their website is www.rarebooklink.com. The neighborhood around the store isn't full of the "little shops, cafes, etc." that you would prefer, but the store itself should give any book lover ample rewards, not to mention a good reason to return to Detroit more often.

They do have a smaller store in Ferndale, a city which has a bit of the atmosphere you like and, of course, you could go to Royal Oak or Birmingham. Other towns with shops, cafes, etc. perfect for walking are Northville and Milford in the western suburbs (Northville is larger and closer to Detroit) and Rochester in the Northern suburbs. I am sure that some other TA members from the Detroit area will have additional nominees (Grosse Pointe, Wyandotte for two). You don't have a lot of time to go too far.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
981 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few hours in Detroit

Plymouth is a nice little town with that quaint but upscale feel... and not far from Canton - next door in fact.

http://www.downtownplymouth.org/

If you wanted a fancy place to stay there is the Inn at St. Johns

www.stjohnsgolfconference.com/overview.html

Another suggestion,depending on the weather is Cranbrook, in Bloomfield Hills. Early November might be too cold to walk the grounds, but it has a lovely little art museum... and it's a straight shot down Woodward to either Birmingham or Royal Oak.

www.cranbrook.edu

michigan
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A few hours in Detroit

Ann Arbor is known for its book stores along with incredible food. Plus, it is a very short drive from Canton. I would suggest to park your car anywhere in downtown Ann Arbor and just spend a few hours walking around town. You will see plenty of book stores (used and new), interesting shops, cafes, art galleries, etc.

Careful at Ikea. Its easy to spend lots of money there :)

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
709 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few hours in Detroit

John K. King -- that's the one! Thanks. I'll check that out.

Yeah, this is a pretty short little trip, but I may go back again. I usually go to the Pittsburgh Ikea, but that's a pretty small store, so I may start going to Detroit instead (at least until West Chester, OH opens next year).

5. Re: A few hours in Detroit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 11, 2009