We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time for fall colors

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best time for fall colors

I know it's a crap shoot when the leaves will peak, I'm thinking about the 1st week in October?????? We were at the Tahquamenon Falls Last fall at the end of September and there was very little color. I've read that the west side of the UP starts changing first. I would love to just keep a on on color reports and go when it's near peak but I worry we won't be able to find lodging. I want to make reservations soon but not sure when to book. Does anyone have an idea when they will start this year, I know the weather plays a big part of it, we were in munising a few weeks ago and it was 90, I read the other day it was in the 50's.

25 replies to this topic
Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best time for fall colors

tyme ~ Getting ready to put my long johns on!

wench ~ First week of September might be a little early, but I would bet that mid to late Sept. might be perfect. I'll try to keep y'all updated here.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,884 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best time for fall colors

heck, a few leaves are already changing down here, and it's gonna be in the upper 40's tonite in the western burbs.... where's summer???????????

Edited: 12:15 am, August 14, 2013
Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best time for fall colors

Coming back next week, ST! ;)

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best time for fall colors

Brrrrrrrt, it's 54 degrees now....coolder than yesterday. Did it snow last night Lungfruit?

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,884 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best time for fall colors

according to tommy skillet-head, G-d of weather in chicago, summer is coming back next week---just in time for the kids going back to school:-(

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best time for fall colors

LOL Tommy skillet-head. My husband use to work with a skillet skull, after meeting him I understood why they called him that.

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best time for fall colors

Wench ~ No white stuff, but I had my snow blower on stand by...just in case.

80s on tap for the weekend (well, at least, that's what they are saying on Wednesday). I hope this means my raspberrys will ripen.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best time for fall colors

So are the biting flies gone? I don't know if we can wait for the color change....I want to go back now. A TA member pm'd me this link, anybody know anything about them? It sounds like something we would be interested in

http://www.mtbohemia.com/

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best time for fall colors

Hey Lungfruit, how you doing up there?

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
624 posts
827 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best time for fall colors

We caught the colors almost perfectly the 1st week of October 2012. Brockway Mountain Drive was perfect

Reply to: Best time for fall colors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted