We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two restaurants destroyed

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,180 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Two restaurants destroyed

The Carnation and the Top Of The Greeks restaurants in Cheboygan were destroyed by fire on Friday night. There was lesser damage to the adjacent businesses.

Mentioned in this post
Cheboygan
Cheboygan
Cheboygan County, MI
5 replies to this topic
Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two restaurants destroyed

Oh how sad. Do they know what caused the fires, Light? Were they next to each other? Not a good month it seems for northern restaurants. Thanks for letting us know. I am not familiar with Top of the Greeks, but am with Carnation. :(

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,180 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two restaurants destroyed

The Top of the Greeks was above the Carnation. The news articles I saw said arson was not suspected, but they were still investigating.

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
915 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two restaurants destroyed

Here's an article on the destruction.

www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=683781

The Cheboygan newspaper mentions that Jaki Tallman, owner of both restaurants has a contract to provide food to the local jail. She's continuing to do that by cooking at a number of her employees homes! Amazing lady.

Edited: 8:48 am, November 09, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Cheboygan
Cheboygan
Cheboygan County, MI
Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,180 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two restaurants destroyed

Increadble!

From the Tribune, “I heard from Jaki very early Saturday morning and she reassured me that all the meals would continue and that they would be on time, despite the fire,” Cheboygan County Sheriff Dale Clar­mont said Sunday. “Apparently she woke up her employees at 2 a.m. Saturday, met them at Wal-Mart, bought the food and started preparing breakfast for our inmates at her employees’ homes.”

At 11:30 a.m. Sunday, a van arrived at the Sheriff’s Department service garage loaded with trays of food for 85 inmates at the jail. Lunch consisted of a grilled cheese sandwich, pretzels and an orange plus a beverage.

Mentioned in this post
Cheboygan
Cheboygan
Cheboygan County, MI
Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two restaurants destroyed

Thanks for the link Jimmy. Yes, I agree, incredible lady Jimmy and Light. :)

Reply to: Two restaurants destroyed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cheboygan