We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2008 PGA championship

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2008 PGA championship

Hi.

I am coming over to Michigan for the 1st time for the PGA in October 2008. Could anyone please tell me the best place to look for accommodation and good nightlife. Also what is the best area I should stay in. Thanks for any help.

Billy.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2008 PGA championship

Hi Billy,

I would look into staying in Birmingham, there are a few hotel choices, great restaurants and good night life. Royal Oak or Rochester would be my second and third choice. All three cities have have a nice little downtown area with shopping, bars and restuarants. I enjoy the night life in each of the cities, with Royal Oak being my favorite.

I'm sure other people will have some suggestions as well, but check all three out.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2008 PGA championship

Thanks Bluegirl.

Can I ask if it is easy to get to the golf from the places you mentioned.

Billy.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2008 PGA championship

All three places are fairly close with Birmingham and Royal Oak bein the closest.

Check out the links below and you'll get a better idea of what each city offers.

http://www.downtownroyaloak.org/

http://www.ci.rochester.mi.us/visiting.asp

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2008 PGA championship

Thanks again.

Can I ask one more question please. I was looking at flights from the UK and a few airports come up for Michigan, which is the closest airport that I would use.

Billy.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
981 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2008 PGA championship

Closest airport would be Detroit Metro or DTW. BA flies there out of Healthrow; Northwest out of Gatwick.

It's a good idea to check this far ahead- the PGA at Oakland Hills is very crowded.

Downtown Birmingham has a couple of hotels. Townsend $$$$$$!!!!

Barclay Inn ?

Holiday Inn Express

Bloomfield Hills -

Radisson Kingsley

Other areas nearby - Troy, Southfield, Farmington Hills,

Some of the nicer properties are bound to offer some sort of shuttle service.

Some people in the neighborhoods also rent their homes, but this is really for groups.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2008 PGA championship

Thanks.

Thats a great help I will start looking now.

Billy

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
530 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2008 PGA championship

I just saw your post and have a question...On the PGA website it lists the PGA in Michigan next August 2008, not October. What is going on in October?

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 2008 PGA championship

I must have had a senior moment I meant August.

n.ireland
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: 2008 PGA championship

hi billy my name is jp iam travelling to the pga in augest,iam staying in nearby southfield.hopefully it will be a great tournament and lefty or jim furyk win.if you fancy meeting up for a beer over there drop me a reply.iam travelling over from belfasat on 3rd augest and staying to 12th. have a safe trip over buddy...

10. Re: 2008 PGA championship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bloomfield Hills
More Bloomfield Hills Topics