We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic route

Which Woods Hole hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
State College
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic route

Is there a scenic route or blue highway route from Woods Hole to Central PA?

2 replies to this topic
Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic route

Hi John -

By "scenic route" I'm assuming you mean roads other then interstates.

It's possible to avoid using interstate highways for a good portion of your journey. But it'll take you quite a bit longer if you do that.

My mom and her friend come from northeastern PA to visit us on the Cape every summer. And they dislike interstate driving. Not sure exactly where in central PA you're coming from/going to, but for what it's worth, here's how my mom gets here. (Of course, going from WH to central PA, you'd do it in reverse ;-)

I-84 East, to I-691 South, to Rt. 66 East, to I-195 South, to I-495 South, to Rt. 25 South, to the Bourne Bridge.

On this route, it's about an 8 hour trip from the time they get on I-84 just outside Scranton, to the time they reach the Bourne Bridge on Cape Cod. That includes a short "pit stop" for lunch.

As you're mapping out your route, there's something else you should consider that isn't obvious from Google Maps, or even if you have your travel route plotted for you by AAA ...

When you use state routes or parallel roads in effort to avoid the interstates here in New England, sometimes, as they say, "the cure is worse than the disease".

For example, Route 1 (the coastal route) and Routes 6 and 44 (the inland routes) look like good alternatives to the interstates going through CT and RI.

In reality, some stretches of these roads are a nightmare. Road work, detours, poor signage, and in some spots they actually have you going right through the middle of a big city - although that doesn't become obvious until you look at the actual path of the route on a detailed street map of the city.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 6:44 pm, July 08, 2012
State College
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic route

Your response looks well thought out. Very good of you taking the time. Thanks.

Reply to: Scenic route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Woods Hole