We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you hike Mt. Greylock with 7 year olds?

Which Williamstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
northeast usa
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Would you hike Mt. Greylock with 7 year olds?

My kids and I love the outdoors - we are fit and always looking to try something new.

So is hiking Greylock feasible with 7 year olds?

chicopee ma
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you hike Mt. Greylock with 7 year olds?

Is it feasible yes , will EVERYONE have a good time , no . Try Monument Mtn in Great Barrington .At the top is a great view of South County and at the end of the day you will still love the lil darlings and they will think your a cool parent . mike

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you hike Mt. Greylock with 7 year olds?

Agree with mrirresponsible, ESPECIALLY at this time of year, though I can't pinpoint the week. It's always a destination when we do our big fall foliage drive, and we've always been brilliantly lucky (but guided by when it's peak across the middle of Massachusetts). EVERYONE will be duly impressed with the whole experience, culminating on Monument Mountain.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you hike Mt. Greylock with 7 year olds?

I said, "EVERYONE will be duly impressed with the whole experience." Then I got thinking. Truth in packaging: Should you decide to drive up Monument Mountain on a glorious weekend day, there will be a wait at the bottom of the hill, because entry is controlled. There will be police at the bottom of the hill holding cars to be sure the mountain's capacity isn't exceeded. The viewing area and parking lots, actually. I've only been there at the weekend, so can't comment on weekdays. But the controls are ad hoc.

chicopee ma
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you hike Mt. Greylock with 7 year olds?

F Y I you can drive up mt greylock you need to HIKE up Monument mtn MD

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you hike Mt. Greylock with 7 year olds?

Whose 7 yo, yours or mine? 2 summers ago, hiking up MW, I met a family with twin 10 yo. They had a great time hiking up and back in a day. Now, my 15yo daughter and I were beat. MG is certainly smaller and you know your kids abilities better than me (I hope).

Now, would I be in a hurry to do it on a cold fall day as opposed to a beautiful August one???

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you hike Mt. Greylock with 7 year olds?

Well, would you? I'd far prefer a cold fall day for the hike, then looking down at the fleeting beauty below.

7. Re: Would you hike Mt. Greylock with 7 year olds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 18, 2010