We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from Boston airport to West Yarmouth

Which West Yarmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norman, Oklahoma
1 post
Save Topic
How do I get from Boston airport to West Yarmouth

My husband and I have reservations in West Yarmouth from Sat May 26 6o Sat June 2. We are flying to Boston on Jet Blue. This will be our first visit to Boston and Cape Cod. Should we rent a car at the airport? Is there a bus we should take. We will be getting to Boston airport about 4:30 pm on Saturday. We are really excited about exploring this part of the country.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from Boston airport to West Yarmouth

I would rent a car unless you have friends on the cape who have one. Getting around the cape without a car is difficult.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from Boston airport to West Yarmouth

Rent a car at the airport and drive 90 minutes to Yarmouth....easy peasy. It is a little tricky getting from the airport to 93 S with one quick lane change. Then it is smooth sailing straight down Rt 93 to Rt 3, over the Sagamore Bridge and onto Rt 6 E. The road is well marked "To Cape Cod". Good luck!

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from Boston airport to West Yarmouth

Another option is to take the bus from Boston to Hyannis, then pick up a rental car in Hyannis.

Car rentals in Hyannis will be less expensive than at the airport in Boston, and logistically you won't have to hassle traffic getting out of Boston.

http://www.p-b.com/weekend-Bost.html

Edited: 12:45 pm, April 21, 2012
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,387 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from Boston airport to West Yarmouth

CapeCodVacay, over the years we have tried every way that there is to defeat the high cost of rental cars at Logan and we have concluded that it is just not worth it. The year we tried the bus it was so off schedule returning to Logan that we and others had to literally 'jump ship' and catch a cab to Logan to barely make the flight. You might think that was the exception and probably it was however more recently my in-laws stayed at our place and took the bus down and back renting at Enterprise in the off-airport Hyannis location (that is right by the airport). They go everywhere extremely early and then wait. This time it paid off for them though as the bus had a flat tire and they had to wait to transfer to a later bus. They only made their flight because they had left so much time.

Since the OP did not ask how to shave $100 off the car rental and since most of that would be used for the bus fare for two I would highly suggest simply getting a car at Logan. In fact I can't even be bothered to consider Thrifty anymore since you have to go north to Revere to their lot before heading south to the Cape. Am I spoiled? Maybe but I think that whoever said that time is money really underrated Time.

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get from Boston airport to West Yarmouth

Point well stated, CCCharlie!

To be sure, any time you rely on public transportation, you're at the mercy of others, e.g., schedules, equipment breakdowns, etc.

Most everyone I know who lives on the Cape and flies into/out of Logan, takes the bus. It's easier than driving, cheaper than paying to leave your car at the airport while you're gone, and they know better than to ask a friend to drive them to Logan unless it's a dire emergency. ;-)

I 'm just like your in-laws. I'd rather be a super-early to the airport than risk missing a flight. So whether we're taking public transport to the airport or driving our own car, I insist on leaving at very least an hour's leeway, just in case we get stuck in traffic or something else goes haywire along the way. Goodness knows, those things do happen - even when you're in control of the driving!

The OP will be traveling from Boston to the Cape on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Hopefully, by the time they get on the road to the Cape, traffic won't be an issue and they'll have smooth sailing all the way.

And the following Saturday when they're heading back to Boston, I wouldn't expect off-Cape traffic to be anywhere near as nasty as it gets on Saturday mornings during July and August.

In either event, whether they drive or take the bus, I'd advise OP to leave plenty of time to get back to Logan if they're catching a flight home on Saturday.

Although the Sagamore Bridge is undergoing repairs, all lanes on the bridge will likely be open for Memorial Day weekend travel, but not so sure about the following weekend.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
673 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get from Boston airport to West Yarmouth

We will be in Sandwich the same week. Unfortunately the best flight we could get arrives at 11:30pm. I'm assuming that traffic won't be a problem and we are bringing our GPS. Our flight leaves at 6pm so we can spend the day in Boston and not be rushed. Even though it will be Memorial Day week, will traffic be much of an issue at any time?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
673 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get from Boston airport to West Yarmouth

BTW, I didn't find the car rentals very expensive at all. We got a full size for $109 + $100 for taxes, fees, whatnot for the whole week. I've seen a lot higher.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
15,789 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get from Boston airport to West Yarmouth

You won't have traffic issues in the city or from there to the airport.

Edited: 2:10 pm, May 06, 2012
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get from Boston airport to West Yarmouth

Gumbeaux,

would you share where you found that rate? Thanks. Mimi

Edited: 3:15 pm, May 06, 2012
Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I get from Boston airport to West Yarmouth

I see full-size cars on Hotwire for $183.92 total for that week.