We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time on the Cape

Utah
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First Time on the Cape

We will be leaving Logan Airport by rental car this Friday around 9am. Can I just follow my Garmin onto the Cape? Did I read there may be trouble with a bridge and/or traffic? We will be staying at the Commodore Inn in West Harwich. This was recommended by my employee who grew up on the Cape. We'd like to ride bicycles and take a day trip to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. The weather report says rain on Sunday and Monday. Any suggestions, please?

Maine
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: First Time on the Cape

I might suggest visiting Wellfleet. A beautiful little town with great restaurants. The Wicked Oyster and Winslows Tavern are sure bets. The National Seashore is within this location with great bike trails along the shore. Provincetown would also make for a nice day trip.

Hadley...
Level Contributor
811 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Time on the Cape

Wellfleet is amazing. Lilybutt is just going to have to pack a lot in this trip or come back soon.

Utah
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First Time on the Cape

How does this sound? Wellfleet Friday afternoon into evening... Bike ride on Saturday... Nantucket on Sunday...

Fly out of Boston at 4pm on Monday. Does that leave room for Provincetown? Or the Sandwich Glass Museum? Or Wagamama's for lunch in Boston?... So much to do..so little time!

I'll post my trip report and let you know how we did!!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First Time on the Cape

The Commodore is a nice spot near Earle Street Beach and will be quiet this time of year. I think you would enjoy breakfast at Bonatt's. We also had a great breakfast at the Wicked Oyster in Wellfleet. A high speed ferry leaves for Nantucket right from Harwichport on Rte. 28 near Brax Landing. Brax Landing is a restaurant that I would never wait in line to get into during high season but for basic seafood and a drink it has a nice view. I agree that the Ocean House (must get there in time to sea the view) and Cape Grille are great choices for dinner. Other suggestions:

- Some folks rave about Busca's Restaurant in Harwichport. I went once and wasn't wowed but would try it again since others love it.

-Chatham to shop and dine. Impudent Oyster is a good spot and the Squire for a more casual meal. We usually eat on the pub side of the Squie (rustic)and love their chowder. The Impudent Oyster will be in the fine dining categroy.

- Visit a bay side beach at low tide where the tide goes out for about one mile. Skaket Beach in Orleans is a good bet. Exit 12 off of Rte. 28, take a right and then a left at the first light near Hearth and Kettle Restaurant and shopping plaza and follow signs. Also, nice at sunset - bring a bottle of wine. Abba is another fine dining restaurant in Orleans on the way to Skaket.

- See a National Seashore beach. You haven't seen the Cape unless you do this. You might even try Art's dune tours out of Provincetown.

- Provincetown to shop or dine. You might also want to go whale watching if its not too cool.

Enjoy! I hope the weather cooperates. The Cape is beautiful in the fall.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First Time on the Cape

www.nantucketislandferry.com/schedule.shtml

The last departure from Harwich to Nantucket on this boat goes this weekend. After that you go from Hyannis.

16. Re: First Time on the Cape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 24, 2010
Get answers to your questions about West Harwich