We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Watertown

Birmingham
8 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Watertown

My wife and I are coming to Boston/Watertown/Newton the middle of next week, June 29, 2005. Our hotel is in Newton and I am taking some training courses in Watertown. Can anyone give us some suggestions of things my wife can do in Newton and or Watertown while I am in class?

Also, what events are happening during this 4th of July weekend? We will be in Boston July 1-3 and flying out on the 4th. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Watertown

Watertown and Newton are both suburban towns with little to offer in the way of sightseeing. It's a drag to contemplate mall shopping when you're in a new area, but if the weather's dismal it'd be better than vegging in a hotel room. The Watertown and Arsenal Malls are across the street from each other, and can be reached by riding the 70 or 70A bus about a mile east from Watertown Square.

A more interesting alternative for both exploring and shopping would be Harvard Square in Cambridge. Bus route 71 (a trackless trolley) has Watertown Square as its western terminus, and runs all the way to the western outskirts of Harvard Square in about 15 minutes.

If you're staying at the Sheraton in Newton (the hotel built over the turnpike), the 57 bus runs north to Watertown Square and south - then east - all the way through Brighton and Allston en route to Kenmore Station. Kenmore is a main stop on the Green Line trolleys which serve the Back Bay and downtown.

The Newton Marriott is on an express-bus line into Boston by way of Waltham, but this doesn't operate very often. The Holiday Inn is a short distance from the Riverside terminal on the Green Line, whence you can travel to Brookline, Fenway Park, and on into the city. To the best of my knowledge, both of these hotels offer shuttle service also.

My hunch is that you'll be headquartered at one of the above three - if not, advise. Thanks.

Birmingham
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Watertown

Hey, I appreciate all the info. We stayed at the Sheraton that was built over I-90 and it was a very nice hotel, centrally located to everything. As you stated, there was not much to do in either suburb but after the classes we went to downtown Boston and did the following over 2 1/2 days:

Duck Tours - A+

Museum of Science - A

Faneuil Hall Marketplace - B+

Newbury Streeet - A

Prudential Building (50th Floor Observation Deck) - A+

Cheers - C

Salem MA. - A

Longbeach around Salem area - C (Water just too cold for Southern Boy. Toes went numb. People actually were swimming! No wonder you have no shark attacks ;) )

Plymouth MA. - A+ (Plymouth Rock, Mayflower II)

Cape Cod - C- (Traffic Sucked)

Chatham MA. - B

We did many other things and I would suggest to anyone who's never been to Boston, besides the driving and so many streets with no lines, it is a great place to visit and we will go back to do all the things we didn't get a chance to do.

Get answers to your questions about Watertown