We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can I creatively work around ferry vehicle wait list?

Which Vineyard Haven hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Simsbury...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How can I creatively work around ferry vehicle wait list?

Is it too risky to book an Aquinnah house rental for the 1st week of Aug if I can only get on the ferry vehicle wait list? It's a Sat - Sat rental. There is one ferry left fri night 7/27 to get there (but then all the MV hotels seem to have 2 night minimums and I'm told there's nowhere to park the car overnite on the island even if I passengered back to the main land.) There's plenty of space to bring the car back a day early on the return.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any creative solutions? Is it too risky (that I wont be able to bring the car... which I gather won't work for Aquinnah) to book the house?

This is the only week I can go. I wish it wasn't last minute!

Thank you!!

2 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can I creatively work around ferry vehicle wait list?

Did you talk to the customer service people at the ferry? I assume you mean the Steamship Authority. They can explain how it works. It's complicated, but you do get the opportunity to make certain changes after you make your reservation. How likely it is that you get a better date/time is unclear. We made a reservation in February for about that same week, and got on the waiting list for better times. One leg of our two legs has now been changed for the better. If I understand this correctly, you do have an option (maybe only once you actually have a reservation) to join the vehicle waiting line on the day of your reservation, to try to get over earlier. I found the customer service person a little cranky, but eventually we seemed to understand how the rules work. The absolute key is that you get some type of reservation. Until you do, they won't cough up better times for you, and other people are just going to come along and grab any remaining slots. So I say go for it, but ask about how to get on the list for better times to travel. I know it's stressful -- maybe those who use the car ferries even more often can add to what I have written. (Also there is a campground on the island -- might that be an option should you have to go over early?)

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
888 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can I creatively work around ferry vehicle wait list?

Book the reservation, as close to your desired time as you can and waitlist. If you need to ferry over and park the car, I can tell you where it will be safe and legal to park overnight. August is a tough call for a one night stay, but not impossible, should you need it. here on the island. It might not be the best/most ideal accommodations, but I can certainly recommend something. For now, book the ferry, and keep checking back for your desired time slot. The Steamship Authority always has more space than what they would book this early. As islanders, we have preferred space available, as well as emergency vehicles or last minute emergency trips. If these are not taken, they become available to the general public, but this is not until one week ahead and the days leading up. Stay positive!!

Reply to: How can I creatively work around ferry vehicle wait list?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted