We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending budget for a week in the Cape

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Spending budget for a week in the Cape

My husband and I are renting a cottage on the Peter's Pond resort in Sandwich, MA. We will be traveling July 7-14 with our teen kids (6 kids to be exact). The cottage comes with a kitchen so we plan on cooking most meals but would like to splurge a day or two. How much spending money should we take with us for the week that will include sight seeing, meals, etc?

Anyone who stayed in Peter's Pond please let me know your thoughts on the place. It will be my first time.

39 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,250 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending budget for a week in the Cape

Cape cod is as expensive as you want it to be. Lobster rolls $20 each but lobster you buy at supermarket will be less. Pizza is

normal prices. whale watch_expensive. Seals at Chatham harbor free.

So no way to tell you how much bring.

Mentioned in this post
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,048 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending budget for a week in the Cape

You can visit the Cape Cod National Seashore visitor's center for free, but if you want to park and go to one of the National Seashore Beaches, it costs $$ ... I think it was $12 - $15 last year ... I can't remember exactly because we ended up buying a season pass.

Also ... do you plan to stay right around Sandwich or explore a bit ... if you believe the media hype, a trip from Sandwich to Provincetown will require $30 in gas ....

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending budget for a week in the Cape

With six kids you should have something that prints money.

Put Cafe Chew on your to do list for breakfast or lunch. The Daniel Webster Inn is very historic and nice. There is a natural spring in the center to fill up your water bottles.

The canal is great for walking, biking, roller blading

boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending budget for a week in the Cape

I love the pizza at Sweet Tomatoes it's right in Sandwich

enteringcapecod.com/town/Sandwich/Restaurant… . Also i think that the British Beer Pub is good menu for kids and has live music

Mentioned in this post
Sweet Tomatoes
Sweet Tomatoes
76 Reviews
Sandwich, MA
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending budget for a week in the Cape

You should probably allow a little more for groceries than you spend for a week at home. As far as restaurant meals are concerned, choose the kind of restaurants that you would use at home. Prices will not be too much different in a fast food type of place if that's what the teenagers would like. Hope for very good weather and lots of time spent on the beach for almost no cost except perhaps for parking.

I'm assuming that you know what kind of money you can afford to spend, so anything over and above food and shelter is entirely at your discretion. Allow as much as you can afford and are comfortable with and tailor your activities to that amount.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending budget for a week in the Cape

I've been to sweet tomatoes several times, well worth the trip.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending budget for a week in the Cape

When you are cooking at home you can make that special also by using your grill for fresh fish. You will be located near a fish market where you can get fish so fresh that they were swimming just hours before: http://www.joeslobstermart.com/

The Lobster Trap in Bourne overlooks the water and has a pretty wide menu, again fresh seafood. www.lobstertrap.net

For a very wide menu and an old fashioned diner type meal (dine at the counter with locals or in one of the formica booths on the breakfast, lunch or dinner specials) go to The Marshland for special value.

When the two of you want to go out together for a special meal in an interesting setting consider the Belfry Bistro (www.belfryinn.com). Also look at the different offerings inside the historic www.danlwebsterinn.com

You can also stop in at www.thebrownjug.com and pick up some of their wonderful cheeses, breads (etc), and wine for a sunset picnic for two. Drop in at Hemisphere (www.hemispherecapecod.com) for a drink and the view but move on for dining. This restaurant changed names (from Horizon) a while back but that did not result in better fare imho.

Ice cream, www.twinacresicecreamshoppe.com is a must.

Be sure to check the Top Questions for free things to do however the Upper Cape is not very well represented.

Sandwich will have a free band concert on Thursday night, good time for a picnic dinner. The country's first aquarium in Wood's Hole is fun and free. Does a kayak come with your home so the kids can paddle around on Peter's Pond? Visit Pairpoint Crystal (instead of paying admission to the Glass museum for all your crew) and watch the glassmaking 10-4 weekdays. www.pairpoint.com on 6A in Sagamore. Of course there's bike riding, walking/jogging along the Cape Cod Canal. (CC Bike Rentals.508-833-2453) And, at the Cape Cod Canal Visitor Center there's free programs for kids 6 - 10 on Wednesdays at 10AM in July and August. …army.mil/recreati/…recreation.htm

Once a week Sandwich has a free architecture walk which necessarily includes a lot of town history. Sandwich is the oldest town on the Cape.

You MUST walk out over the marsh on the town boardwalk from Factory (as in Glass Factory) Rd to the town neck beach. It looks different depending on the time of day and the way the light plays over the marsh grasses. Watch for blue herons in the tidal pools and enjoy the gorgeous views.

When you are browsing the shops don't miss www.titcombsbookshop.com

It is included in the list of 50 most unique bookshops around the world.

if you make advance arrangements you may be able to do something unique and that is tour the Mass. Maritime Academy. They no longer give tours but you can arrange to go onlong on one of the weekday tours for prospective merchant marine cadets. See the oldest operating maritime academy from an insiders view and maybe get a tour of the cadet's training ship and eat in the cadets' dining hall overlooking the canal.

There are many other things that you can do to spend plenty of money. For a listing of everything contact the Sandwich Visitor Information Center www.sandwichma.org or 508-888-1901. When you arrive they have a tiny visitor's center right off the exit that is open 10-5 M-Sa and 10-4 on Sunday. At least drop in to get the village walking guide (or get in town too) and Cape Week, the entertainment section to the Cape Cod Times.

Is this your first visit to the Cape?

Have fun.

Edited: 11:26 am, March 08, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Bourne
Bourne
Cape Cod, MA
Belfry Bistro
Belfry Bistro
285 Reviews
Sandwich, MA
Hemisphere
Hemisphere
111 Reviews
Sandwich, MA
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending budget for a week in the Cape

Oh, I forgot to give you the contact link for the Maritime Academy www.maritime.edu and I wanted to also mention the National Marine Life Center in Buzzards Bay which is interesting to kids. www.nmlc.org

It's a marine-animal rehabilitation hospital that aids whales, sea turtles, dolpins and seals that wash ashore on CC and need medical help.

Edited: 11:42 am, March 08, 2012
Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending budget for a week in the Cape

You should print out capecodcharlie's posts, he covered it all. Joe's lobster mart is a popular and great place.

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending budget for a week in the Cape

The only thing I can think of that Charlie didn't mention is to go see a Cape Cod Baseball League game. The players are the best of the best collegiate players in the US, and many of today's Major Leaguers spent a summer or two playing in the "Cape League". It's a fun outing for the whole family.

Have you seen the movie "Summer Catch"? The plot is about a local kid who plays in the Cape League, then ends up going to the majors. Very entertaining!

It's free to attend the games. Donations are appreciated when they pass the hat. But not required.

The closest place to Sandwich to see a game is in Bourne, at the Upper Cape Regional Technical School. I just checked the schedule, and it looks like there are home games at Bourne on July 10th and 11th at 6 pm.

Now, Bourne is an okay place to see a game. But not my favorite. By far, I prefer Chatham (the location portrayed in the Summer Catch movie) or Orleans. There are games scheduled in Orleans on the 10th and 11th, and in Chatham on the 11th, all at 7 p.m.

For your family, I'd probably lean toward Orleans because it'll give you the chance to spend an hour or so at a phenomenal Atlantic Ocean beach before you go to the game.

Here's my idea: Make an afternoon drive down to Orleans. Take Rt. 6A and do some sightseeing along the way. Stop and climb Scargo Tower, just off Rt. 6A in Dennis. The view is amazing! And there's no admission charge to pay.

Get to Orleans around 5 or 5:30 p.m., and head for Nauset Beach. It's one of the most gorgeous beaches on the Cape's Atlantic Ocean coastline - and a "must visit", IMHO.

When you come to the Cape, you have to visit at least one Atlantic Ocean beach. It's a rule! (Okay. Maybe not an official rule. But you really do want to see the Cape's Atlantic coast - believe me, you do!!)

Anyway ... if you get down to Orleans early evening, you can spend time at the beach, then go to the game. If memory serves, you can park at Nauset Beach without a sticker/payment after 5 p.m. (If I'm wrong on that, I hope someone will jump in and correct me.)

Take a picnic dinner with you, or splurge at Liam's - the snack shack/restaurant on the beach. Their onion rings are legendary. And they have all sorts of food from burgers and dogs to seafood, ice cream, etc.

You can also get food at the game, if you'd rather do that.

Finally, if you'd rather not drive all the way to Orleans (or Chatham), then take in a game in Hyannis on either the 10th or the 13th at 7 p.m.

It's an easy drive from Sandwich to Hyannis, about 30 minutes, give or take, depending on traffic.

There's more than enough to see/do on Main Street and by the Harbor before the game. Shopping (don't miss the Mass Bay Company!), restaurants of all kinds and price ranges, an arcade and carousel, the Cape League Hall of Fame and Museum, the Cape Cod Maritime Museum, the John F. Kennedy Museum, harbor cruises, and lots more.

Last but not least, I have to second (or is it third??) the advice to visit the Cape Cod Canal Visitors Center in Sandwich. It's so much more than your typical visitors center. There's a 40-something foot boat inside the building, plus lots of cool radar equipment and hands-on exhibits that everybody in the family will get a kick out of. It's very educational, too ... but in an entertaining way.

The Visitors Center sits right alongside the Canal and adjacent to the marina where the Coast Guard docks their boats. It's a fun spot for boat and Coastie watching!

All in all, it's actually not as tough as you might think to have a very affordable Cape Cod vacation. It just takes some planning and a little creativity ... especially when you have 6 kids to keep happy!

If you want any more ideas, don't hesitate to post back or send me a PM!

Mentioned in this post
Bourne
Bourne
Cape Cod, MA
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Orleans
Orleans
Cape Cod, MA
Hyannis
Hyannis