We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday 2018

Dublin
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Family holiday 2018

I am planning on travelling this summer with my family - kids aged 16-22. What is there to do for teenagers and older kids. Is there a night life - bars/clubs for over 21s? Is there gym etc?

What is the age profile in the two for kids?

5 replies to this topic
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,702 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday 2018

Rockport is a "dry" town, so no alcohol is served. If you want what you describe as "over 21" venues, you would need to drive to other towns. There is a concert venue in Rockport called Shalin Liu Performance Center.

Boston...
Level Contributor
21,692 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday 2018

Shalin Liu is a gorgeous facility. I'd say their performances skew older than your kids by a healthy margin, though.

Rockport is great for beaches and snorkeling and cute shops and small restaurants and gorgeous views, but it's not a great place to entertain teenagers.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday 2018

I agree that teens may become bored with a week in Rockport - beautiful shoreline and nice shopping and restaurants there, but it's a small town without much to entertain teens for a week's vacation.

Regarding Rockport being a dry town, this information was provided by Boston Magazine - there are some twists to alcohol availability there:

Rockport was formerly one of those dry towns, but it approved alcohol consumption in restaurants in 2006. The approval wasn’t without restrictions, though. It used to be that alcohol could only be served in restaurants unless customers planned to eat a full meal. In 2011, this law was loosened when the town voted to allow people to order drinks with appetizers, and even without food if a patron had made a reservation with restaurant.

Here is a 2015 list of those places with licenses to serve alcohol:

https:/…alcohol_information_sheet.pdf

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday 2018

No, kids are going to get bored in Rockport. Do you trust them going into the city (Boston) for the day by themselves? They could take the commuter train in.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday 2018

Hi and have fun in Rockport. I am there quite a lot and know it very well. New liquor law in 2017 has loosened previous restrictions and restaurants can now provide just drinks, if they desire - you'll need to check to see which ones do this. Town hasn't been "dry" for over a decade. There is not yet a package store to buy alcohol, but Gloucester has three good stores only 3 miles from downtown Rockport.

For teenagers, the activities include hiking along the coast on trails, being at one of several beaches, renting kayaks and taking guided kayak tours and lessons, renting paddle boards, renting bicycles, taking a whale watching tour boat from Gloucester (nearby), and as mentioned riding the commuter rail train to Salem (witchy stuff to see) and accessing downtown Boston. No gyms or health clubs.

Reply to: Family holiday 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rockport