We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Near Beach?

Fountain City
Level Contributor
89 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Near Beach?

Hi, we are traveling to Boston this summer for a week and debating where to stay. Two adults and 3 children ages 11, 8, and 2. Looking to get the best of both worlds. We want to go into Boston and stay busy spending a good amount of time in and around the area, but we love the water and beach. Just curious if the Revere Beach area has any hotels close to it... meaning within a reasonable walking distance to the sand/water?

Thanks!

14 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Near Beach?

There's one on Nantasket beach/Hull mass. You can take the boat to Boston.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Near Beach?

There are no hotels on Revere beach. All 3 hotels in Winthrop are within a 5-10 minute walk to the beach and the bus to the sybway

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Near Beach?

I haven't been to Revere in many years but it had fallen out of favor and don't know that it is a great choice for tourists. It i am wrong, i am sure my friends will correct me. Wingaersheek in Gloucester has more going for it although warm water probably isn't one. Nantasket is a ferry ride or a drive which should not be bad during week. Or may want to consider near Plymouth where you have beaches, are close to cape cod and close to Boston. Sometimes, getting the best of both worlds means getting less then the best of anything.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Near Beach?

Wingaersheek Beach actually tends to have warmer water than other Cape Ann beaches because of its more sheltered location. It also has calmer waters (and great tide pools!) so it's terrific for younger kids. You would need a car to there, however. You could rent one and do a day trip around Cape Ann including the beach. Another option would be to pick a weekend day and take the commuter rail from North Station in Boston to Ipswich. From there, you can take the weekend-only Ipswich Essex Explorer (assuming it is running this summer; 2014 schedule has not been announced yet) to Crane Beach, a beautiful spot with endless sandy beach.

That said, I am not clear if you are looking for a place to spend a beach day as part of your Boston trip or for someplace you can take your kids to cool off at the end of a Boston sightseeing day. If it is the latter, I think you would be better off to use a hotel pool or go to the Frog Pond wading/spray pool on Boston Common. Revere Beach is an urban beach that has been nicely cleaned up. Going there once by public transit might be fine, but more than that probably wouldn't be much fun for your kids.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Near Beach?

I intended to include some links to websites that may be helpful. Here they are:

gloucesterma.com/Wingaersheek-Beach.cfm

thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/northeast-ma…

http://www.ipswichessexexplorer.com/

http://reverebeach.com/

And, one more thought, maybe one evening your family would enjoy going to Kelly's Roast Beef, an institution at Revere Beach (it offers much more than roast beef), for dinner along with some time on the beach.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Near Beach?

Revere Beach is very urban, not a remote relaxing beach.

Nantasket is better. The Cape or Maine would be best.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Near Beach?

Nothing wrong with Revere Beach. It is clean and well patrolled. I walk my dog there regularly. It is urban and there are no hotels.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Near Beach?

Mommy -- will you have a car? You have some nice options -- I kinda like Hull, the hotel is right on the beach and you can take the commuter boat to downtown Boston, a nice quick trip. But, you need wheels to get from the hotel to the boat -- or anywhere else.

LMM

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Near Beach?

Hull is a good option, another one would be The Inn at Crystal Cove in Winthrop. They have an outdoor swimming pool, views of the Boston Harbor and it is a five minute walk to Yirrell Beach.They have cooking facilities, so you can save money preparing family meals and there are a few local restaurants within walking distance. It is locate in a residential neighborhood with playground across the street behind the Inn. It is not an upscale Inn / hotel but it might suit your needs. Hopefully they will have the ferry service to Boston in the summer. (town budget issues) regardless, you can take the local bus to the subway (the T) or if you have a car you can drive it to the T. (free parking at the Inn) if you get a paper link tourist ticket for the subway then it will include the bus fare. Kids 12 and under are free when they ride the T with their parents.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Near Beach?

I am not 100% sure the link pass includes the Winthrop bus. There is a lot of confusion around that. The Winthrop buses are NOT T buses. They are contracted by the T. They have no card/ticket readers on them. they do not show up when you use the MBTA trip planner, but if you search the T site for "bus 712" you will find the schedule.

My teen has a monthly student pass and rides free. My husband rides occasionally and pays the $1.25 fee when he boards.

Reply to: Hotel Near Beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted