We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somerville to P-town for day trip

salt lake city
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Somerville to P-town for day trip

Hi,

My teenage daughter and I want to visit P-town probably on a Thursday. Early morning start is fine for us. We will not have a car. Can someone please tell us the best way to get from Somerville to P-town and back so that we can have a full day there. Thanks!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,225 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somerville to P-town for day trip

There are.two different ferries from Boston.

http://baystatecruisecompany.com/

http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/

Both are good, go with the one that has the most convenient schedule.

Are you still planning on a day in Gloucester and a whale watch out of Boston? How long will you be here? When do you plan to see Boston?

Edited: 2:58 am, July 13, 2014
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,225 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somerville to P-town for day trip

Forgot to say, round trip ferry tickets are $88 per person on both ferries.

There is also the Plymouth and Brockton bus http://www.p-b.com

You start at South Station, change buses (or have a layover in Hyannis)

It looks like the earliest bus leaves South Station at 6:35am, arriving in Ptown at 9:50am. The last bus leaves Ptown @ 3:30pm and arrives in Boston @ 8:10pm (Hyannis stop is longer on the way back.)

This only gives you about 5 hours in Ptown. 'Round trip tickets is $56 per person. They do not take reservations or guarantee seats ... first come, first served .... I have never taken this bus all the way to Ptown .... I would think it would not be too busy on a Thurs, but I do not know for sure. You may want to call them and ask if it fills up.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somerville to P-town for day trip

Ferry is the only sensible route, so I think the real question is how to get to the Aquarium from Davis Square using public transportation. You would take the red line to Downtown Cossing, then switch to the orange line to State Street, then switch to the Blue Line for the Aquarium. That's kind of crazy but you won't get lost. I would probably take the red line to South Station and then walk from there To the Aquarium.

Edited: 5:34 am, July 13, 2014
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somerville to P-town for day trip

Am I missing something here...I don't see anything in the OP's question about a whale watch and a day in Gloucester?

Is a car out of the question? It would be easier logistically and probable less expensive. You would not have to time the trip to Provincetown with the ferry schedule. And you do not have the problem of Somerville to Boston.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,026 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Somerville to P-town for day trip

You can take the Red Line Subway to South Station and walk to Long Wharf for the ferry. It's about a 15 minute walk. That way, no changes on the subway.

6. Re: Somerville to P-town for day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:32 am, July 13, 2014
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,225 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Somerville to P-town for day trip

Howland, she has hod questions on the Boston forum about whale watching and how to get the train to Gloucester.

And I have to say I agree with you, renting a car is probably the best idea.

earSLC...what are your dates? Parking in Ptown may be extremely difficult if you are there on the Thursday of the Carnival parade. Also, the buses very well could fill up that day.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Somerville to P-town for day trip

Carnival Week is August 16-22 with the parade on Thursday, August 21. Provincetown will swell to over 90,000 people on that day and will be teeming the rest of the week too. Might be wise to avoid the whole week unless you really want to see it.

http://ptown.org/carnival/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Somerville to P-town for day trip

My recommendation: travel by ferry (if you're contemplating purchasing GoBoston cards for the 2 of you, you each would get free passage on the slow boats, a $20 discount on the fast ferry).

It will be about $100 cheaper for the 2 of you to travel by ferry than to do a same day-rental (early AM pick-up, late evening return) out of Logan Airport + pay for gas + paring for Provincetown.

A car rental from Somerville is more moderately priced, but again, gas + P-town parking will not make it more economically advantageous than going by ferry. Plus, you won't be able to return the car to a Somerville location late in the evening, so you'll have to park it overnight.. IIRC, overnight parking for non-residents of Somerville requires a visitor permit; it doesn't seem you are staying in a hotel, so you'd want a guarantee from the hosts of your Somerville accommodations that they will have a visitor permit for you.

Even if renting a car were the same price as the ferry fare, going by ferry eliminates all the hassle of renting a car, navigating to P-town, and being "stuck'" with a car once you're there. Since this is a vacation for you two, make it easy on yourselves :-)

P.S. Groupon currently has promotional offers for discounted tix for whale-watching cruises out of Gloucester. Depending on which company's Groupon you purchase, you'd save 40 or 49%.

Edited: 10:29 am, July 13, 2014
salt lake city
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Somerville to P-town for day trip

Thank you al!. Great information! We will be arriving in Boston on August12th. On Wednesday the 13th we want to go to Gloucester to whale watch and then on Thursday the 13th to P-town. Rest of time we will be in Boston sightseeing.

Can someone please tell me about the Groupon tickets. Would lpve to get a discount on the whale watching!

Thanks again. All very helpful info.