We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provincetown, Cape Cod in August w/ kids

Which Provincetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Provincetown, Cape Cod in August w/ kids

Hi, we're thinking about driving up there for a week in August 2013. Any recommendations on where to stay? must see sites? best or least desireable dates in August? probably do a couple days in Boston as well. Our three kids are ages 8, 8 and 6. Thanks!

Edited: 2:46 pm, February 11, 2013
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provincetown, Cape Cod in August w/ kids

If you are thinking of staying in Provincetown I would avoid the week of August 18 to the 23rd. That is Carnival week and the town will be packed. Otherwise any time that month but most places want a full week reservation. In Provincetown you could go on a whale watch cruise, visit the Provincetown Museum and the Pilgrim Monument. Herring Cove and Race Point beaches are nice. The National Seashore has a small visitor center. There is a larger center in Eastham.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
21,542 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provincetown, Cape Cod in August w/ kids

If you don't want a full week, consider some of the hotels on Rte 6 or 6A in Truro or Wellfleet.

Last November I had a good stay at the Habor Inn on 6A, just inside the Provincetown border . They may be a bit more flexible with minimum stays than some of the smaller places in P-town.

I stay in Truro regularly in August and I'm not sure when Carnival became a full week, but I find it's always zoo-y on the Thursday of that week -- -the day of the parade, but it's just summertime crazy busy the rest of the week..

Tampa, Florida...
Level Contributor
1 post
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provincetown, Cape Cod in August w/ kids

http://www.beachpointclub.us/

we stayed here in unit 31-33

price was right, great location

make sure to eat at

Lobster Pot

Fanizzis

Napis

Mews

Spiritus

Bubbalas

have fun!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provincetown, Cape Cod in August w/ kids

I hope you are hungry! You also might want to eat at Cafe Heaven and Chach for breakfast and The Red Inn or Victor's for dinner. If you are considering The Red Inn make reservations very early, like as soon as you confirm your lodging dates.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
223 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Provincetown, Cape Cod in August w/ kids

Family Week is usually the first week of August, and Carnival Week is usually the third week. The week in between has no theme, per se, and tends to be a very mellow & friendly week. Believe it or not, Family Week can be a nightmare and a nuisance. The second week might be a great time to go. Your kids are old enough to enjoy the whalewatches, the ocean & bay beaches, the nature trails, the fun stores, the street performers in front of Town Hall, etc.

Ideally, I'd stay on the East End with children. The center of town & West End can get a bit rowdy and raucous at night (sometimes you can hear drunken laughter as you try to sleep; the East end is much quieter). From the Entering Provincetown sign onward are countless motels, inns, B&Bs, and such. Given the ages of the kids, I think the place Forgotmypassword might be ideal. It's away from the noise but near everything you'll want access to.

There are a score of great restaurants, but the two that most come to mind as "family friendly" and "not awful" are Fannizis and Bayside Betsys. The Mews, Front Street, Red Inn, Napis, Victors, and Jimmy's Hideaway are all good, but might be too gourmet for younger tastebuds. Purple Feather has excellent gelato and candy, and Relish has wonderful baked goods, if you get a sweet tooth

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Provincetown, Cape Cod in August w/ kids

Be sure to go on one of Art's Dune Tours. You might also want to eat at the Mayflower. I find it surprisingly good. It is popular with families and has a wide range of food including Portuguese variations of things. Also consider Tip for Tops'n on Bradford Street The food has been described as eating at your Grandmother's house. Also some nice Portuguese items. Only open for breakfest and lunch.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
21,542 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Provincetown, Cape Cod in August w/ kids

Is Tips for Tops'n opened? I thought they tried to sell it and then it closed but maybe I got my info wrong. Breakfast options are diminishing in P-town. :(

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Provincetown, Cape Cod in August w/ kids

The past couple of years Tip for Tops'n has only been open for breakfast and lunch. I have not seen an ad for its sale in the Banner since it first went on the market. Maybe they are just going to keep it going for two meals a day. One of the Carreiro brothers died. I think that may have prompted the possible sale.

I think that Chach has the best breakfast in town. Also Cafe Heaven and Fanizzi's are good.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Provincetown, Cape Cod in August w/ kids

Hey guys, the kids are 8, 8 and 6. When you consider that , are your best recommendations for dining still the Red Inn, The Mews and Victors etc.?

If so the OP should know that these lovely and upscale restaurants come with upscale prices for five. But Ptown is probably the most expensive for lodging as well as dining which may be just fine but worth noting.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Provincetown, Cape Cod in August w/ kids

Well there is the Mayflower which is popular with families and quite good I think. Fanizzi's is good too and not overly expensive. Tip for Tops'n for breakfast and lunch. As with many of the original posts we know only the basics about the poster. Perhaps they eat at the local version of the Red Inn on a regular basis. But you do make a good point CCC. Everyone looking for information about restaurants, etc should take dig further and look at the entries on the TA site or the restaurant's site to get an in depth perspective.