I just returned from a mini get away to Provincetown with my teen daugther Sat Nov 17 - Sun Nov 18 (the weekend before Thanksgiving ... for those who may be reading next year. ;)
We stayed at the Harbor Hotel in Provincetown on Rte 6a and it met our needs perfectly.
First the good:
* Both days were sunny and not-too-cold, but you can't count on that.
* Not too bad getting there ... no traffic at the the bridge, but before the bridge we encountered a major slow down in on Rte 3 in the Plymouth area. The back-up was caused by LOTS of people going to a parade on Saturday.
* We stopped at the Eastham Visitors Center and Nauset light beach and walked the beach a bit.
* Provincetown itself was good. Not summer-time-busy, free parking at MacMillian Wharf, but the lot was nearly full.
* It was great visiting our favorite shops .. Spark's; Good Scents; the Penny Patch, Puzzle Me, This; Kids' Stuff; Friends of the Heart, Fresh Produce and the antiques store up near Bubala's.
* Lots of markdowns and lots of time to chat with the staff. A very pleasant shopping experience for a me. I'm not one who 'shops for fun', seriously, I'd rather go to the dentist than the mall ... but if you don't know what you want, it's tough to shop on-line, kwim? Our objective was Christmas Shopping. We got a lot done and it . was a good experience
Now, the not so good:
* Many businesses were closed. Some I expected ... the hotdog stands in Lopes Square, the ice cream shops and so-on. But others I was surprised to see closed ... Sal's Place, the Portuguese Bakery, even the Provincetown House of Pizza was closed.
*Many shops that were opened, closed as soon as it got dark. While I didn't expect to be shopping at 10pm like in July, I expected to be able to shop until 5:30 or 6. But some places were shut tight at 4:30.
*With it getting dark early and the shops closing early, there just weren't enough hours in the day to do what we wanted to do. I had hoped to drive parts of 6A and do some antiquing, but didn't ahve time. We had hoped to do the Cedar Swamp walk, but didn't leave P-town early enough to do that before dark.
Ah well, all in all a great experience. Glad we did it and we will be back. Maybe we'll do that walk in May.
Some of the businesses we spoke to expect to close the after Thanksgiving or the week after. The Lobster Pot plans to close next Sunday and others had similar plans.
Thanks for reading!!!