We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance

Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Distance

How long does it take to get to Provincetown from Cape Cod? We are staying in Cape Cod, but I would like to try to make a day trip to Provincetown.

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance

Where in Cape Cod are you staying? Provincetown is IN Cape Cod, just at the farthest point.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance

I didn't realize that. I was trying to look on the map. I guess that's why I couldn't find the Cape. It's already on there, ha!

We are staying at Chatham Bars Inn.

Mentioned in this post
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Chatham Bars Inn Resort...
1,902 Reviews
Chatham, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance

The driving time will depend on traffic, but I would plan on 45 minutes to an hour--more if it's a cloudy/rainy day and more people are on Rt. 6.

conn
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance

I agree with Ting 45-60 min. If you go 8-10 am or later afternoon, you'll miss the beach traffic on Rt 6.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,030 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance

Chatham Bars Inn is in the town of Chatham.

Here's a decent map of the Cape that shows the various towns.

lonelyplanet.com/maps/…

Think of the Cape as an "arm" that sticks out into the Atlantic Ocean from the "rectangle-shaped' part of Massachusetts.

Sandwich is one of the first towns on that map ... on the left up near the "shoulder". Then you've got Chatham, on the right, out on the "elbow". and finally you've got Provincetown out an the 'fist' or hand. I don't know why they lable Herring Cove Beach on this map ... it's a beach, part of the Cape Cod National Seashore ... but if you ask most people where it is, they'll say "Provincetown.

The towns of Mashpee and Falmouth and Woods Hole are also part of Cape Cod and they stick out off the upper arm, sort of destroying the 'arm' image, but you get the idea. ;)

Mentioned in this post
Herring Cove Beach
Herring Cove Beach
790 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
Cape Cod National Seashore
Cape Cod National...
510 Reviews
Cape Cod, MA
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Chatham Bars Inn Resort...
1,902 Reviews
Chatham, MA
Connecticut
Level Contributor
223 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance

Provincetown's an excellent day trip from Chatham, and well worth the possible hour each way, as there's so much to do & see in P-town. If I may suggest something: consider making your trip on a weekday rather than the weekend. Tourist traffic (excluding Carnival Thursday) is generally slightly lighter on the weekdays than the weekends, which will give you better access to the limited good parking places, and will also allow you to pace your day trip to your whims & less to those of the horde.

Mentioned in this post
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance

Thank you so much!

8. Re: Distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, October 10, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Provincetown