We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Eat - Ptown?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Eat - Ptown?

My recs for casual eating in Provincetown 2011: …blogspot.com/2011/08/food-field-trip-cape-c…

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
180 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to Eat - Ptown?

A follow up on Post Office Cafe. I used to frequent there for breakfast but kind of stopped. I wouldn't say the food is terrible or anything as it was usually decent for breakfast.

My issue was the staff. They can be down right bitter and ungrateful. You aren't appreciated as their guest and they tend to come off like they are doing you a favor. I've been there when the staff has had arguments right in the middle of the dining room. I've heard staff discuss their night under the D*ck Dock. I've heard staff get chewed out because they couldn't get up for work on time.

Then there is the naked b*tches signing who stand out in front of the place and DEMAND in there nasally, whiny voices to "come to our show!!" and jam their cards in your face.

Yes, I stopped going there several years ago. There are too many other choices in town for this

Connecticut
Level Contributor
223 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to Eat - Ptown?

Oh dear, I forgot about the obnoxious barkers at Post Office. The Crown & Anchor barks their shows much more quietly, as does the Art House, and both of those venues carry better shows (and better restaurants).

So yeah, skip Post Office & try anything else we suggested for breakfast. One never wants one's eggs overly easy.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to Eat - Ptown?

Elementzz and Velocityboy ... I do know what you are talking about and fortunately I've seen very little of it because I'm usually with my kids and we are there relatively early (finishing up before 10am---just as the lines start to form). Problem is there aren't a lot of sit-down places for breakfast these days and sometimes it's nice to sit at a table and be served breakfast. I've been vacationing in the area long enough (long before I had kids) to remember having breakfast at Fat Jack's, Stormy Harbor and Cafe Blase .... as well as a few other places that have come and gone like "Waterfront" or something like that.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to Eat - Ptown?

Connie's, at their new location, is strictly take out. They have excellent pastries, but unfortunately they no longer bake bread due to space limitations. They also sell an assortment of savory pies that make a nice lunch, but again, just to go.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
223 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where to Eat - Ptown?

forgotmypword, I think it's probable that the barkers wait for the brunch crowd, and I envy you for missing that audial assault.

I love the community that the P-town board has. There are about 20 or so of us "regulars", and I enjoy the commentary from each of you. It brings such a magical place to life, seeing it from multiple perspectives & multiple generations, as we all began experiencing the town at differing times.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where to Eat - Ptown?

I gotta convince my husband to try Victor's. We had a very bad experience in the restaurant that was in that location 20+ years ago and he hasn't recovered -- lol!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
180 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where to Eat - Ptown?

Just got back from 10 days at Ptown and brought first time friends to Victors. They left raving, The raw bar is excellent there. And the food has always impressed us. I've eaten there 4 times now and it has been consistently good

NYC
3 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Where to Eat - Ptown?

Just for clarification... what's the dress code for dining? Is there a dress code? Or can you go to dinner establishments in shorts and a tee shirt?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
223 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Where to Eat - Ptown?

There is no dress code, pretty much anywhere. As it's a tourist-driven town, and most of the tourists are in casual wear, casual wear's the norm. My friends & I like to wear the nicer casual wear to shows & our favorite restaurants, but frankly, we are in the minority. Most folks put on whatever to go wherever, and it's perfectly acceptable. It's a VERY laissez-faire community where drag, leather, athletic wear, designer clothes, and Wal*Mart pret-a-porter all fit in. Wear what you want!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Where to Eat - Ptown?

<< It's a VERY laissez-faire community where drag, leather, athletic wear, designer clothes, and Wal*Mart pret-a-porter all fit in. >>

This made me lol --- but it is VERY accurate. All is fine.

Until you've been to P-town you just don't understand the atmosphere. Although it's best known for it's gay culture, what I noticed from the time I first started going there ...(my first visit was 1985, I think) was that EVERYBODY is welcome.

The ONLY person I ever had a "problem" with was about 10 years years back there was a guy who used to dress in running shorts and a boa (a LIVE boa constrictor, NOT feathers) and I have a problem with snakes. When I saw him walking down the street, I'd duck into a store ... and some shopkeepers knew EXACTLY why I was there ... so I wasn't the only one -- ha!

One of the BEST things I ever saw in P-town that just epitomized the "I'm ok / You're ok" feel of the place that makes me love it was 2 older women from a bus tour (complete with nametags and cardigans over their shoulders) discussing lunch options with a bare-chested, tatoo'd, leather-clad guy with nipple rings. I wish I had a camera that day.

And people have always been nice to my kids. I don't take them where they don't belong (bars at 10pm) and all is good. When my daughter was about 3 she put on a little floral T-shirt dress (from WalMart -- ha) and then picked out perfectly colored-coordinated mardi gras beads at that store next to Spark's (whose name escapes me now) and we continued down the street. People went out of their way to tell her how pretty she looked. :D My son was a talkative pre-schooler, and often adults would engage him in conversation on the benches near town hall or while waiting for our food at John's footlongs.